insert text in citation

Hi there,

I would like to insert text in my citation, but unfortunately the text always disappears after inserting.

I would like to do the following:

Similarly, Doberman (2006, see also Simbahan et al., 2007; Dobermann and Simbahan, 2007)…

How can I insert “see also” in my citation?

Cheers,

TIM

When inserting text within a citation it must be done using EndNote’s “Edit Citation” command or the text will not “stick”. 

1. First, create your in-text citation which, using your example, will look something like this:

(Doberman, 2006; Simbahan et al., 2007; Dobermann & Simbahan, 2007)

1. Now put your cursor on the citation and select “Edit Citation(s)”.  [In MS Word go to the EndNote tab and select “Edit Citation(s)”.]

2. The EndNote Edit Citation window will display the three citations (Doberman, 2006; Simbahan et al., 2007; Dobermann & Simbahan, 2007). 

a. Click to select/highlight the Simbahan et al., 2007 citation.

b. Now in the “Prefix” line, type in:  see also         [Note: be sure to leave one blank space before and after the word “also”]

[I can’t recall if a comma is supposed to follow “see also” but if it does, just type-one in]

c. Click the OK button the close the Edit Citation window.

1. The corrected citation should now appear as:

(Doberman 2006; see also Simbahan et al., 2007; Dobermann and Simbahan, 2007)

Also note you can use the Edit Citation feature to omit the author or year from an intext citation and do other helpful manipulations as needed.