Authors listed with the word the word "with" - APA 6th edition p. 184

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone can help with this. I’m not sure if this has been answered anywhere but I cannot see an answer anywhere in the support pages.

On page 184 of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.) in the second to last bullet point under Authors, it explains that authors listed with the word with can be included in the reference in parentheses, but the text citation only includes the primary author.

Is there any way of inputting this scenarion into EndNote?

Many thanks for your time.

Marcus Simkin

1 Like

I am not exactly sure how this would appear.  Can you illustrate it? 

1 Like

Unfortunately, Endnote currently does not permit editing of individual bibliography references (unlike in-text citations). In order to include the “with” in the bibliography entry you have two workaround options:

1. The simplest method is to convert a copy of your document to “text” which will remove the Endnote field codes. Then manually type in the word “with”.
  2. If you prefer retaining the Endnote field codes and links then an alternative method is to create a second “Author” custom field (for example, “SubAuthor”) across the Endnote reference types. Then manually enter the author names in the custom field as it would appear in the actual bibliography entries – this is where you would include the “with” wording… Finally, modify your output style to use the custom field in the bibliography template instead of the “Author” field.
2 Likes

I have discovered the answer on a previous question: 

<a href="http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/When-authors-are-listed-with-the-word-with/m-p/19973/highlight/true#M5398"/a> 

The second reply by John-Arnold is what I was looking for. :slight_smile:

Thanks to those who replied. 

I have discovered the answer on a previous question: 

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/When-authors-are-listed-with-the-word-with/m-p/19973/highlight/true#M5398

The second reply by John-Arnold is what I was looking for. :slight_smile:

Thanks to those who replied. 

1 Like