Automatic cleanup: how to turnoff or bypass?

Hello everyone!

Is there any possibility to turn off EndNote’s X5 automatic cleanup functionality? Or, is there any trick to bypass automatic deletion of spacings between words and (semi)colons?

I am developing an output style IAW Ukrainian regulations. The latter require spacings between words and punctuation marks, semicolons and colons in particular: “field1 ; field2”, “field1 : field2”. However, EndNote automatically changes the output to “field1; field2”, "field1: field2" respectively.

Many thanks! I count on your advice a lot.

Best regards,

Konstantin

In your output style are you encasing the semicolon within a pair of “forced separation” codes (resembles a vertical bar) in the output template?  (Use the “Insert Field” button to add a forced separation or copy the symbol from another template.) The result would be.

|Field1|; |Field2|; |Field3|; |

CrazyGecko,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Unfortunately, forced separations do not help to insert the necessary spasings around (semi)colons. Let me clarify the issue below.

Here is the way I set up the template:

Title ; Publisher ; Year (please note the necessary spacings around semicolons).

Here is the required output style:

EndNote ; ThomsonReuters ; 2011 (please note the spacings around semicolons. Yes, I know it looks awkward, but this is teh official requirement I must comply with).

And this is what we have so far:

EndNote; ThomsonReuters; 2011    (please note that spacings before semicolons are automatically “cleaned up”).

Is there any way to bypass this

@crazygecko wrote:

In your output style are you encasing the semicolon within a pair of “forced separation” codes (resembles a vertical bar) in the output template?  (Use the “Insert Field” button to add a forced separation or copy the symbol from another template.) The result would be.

|Field1|; |Field2|; |Field3|; |

cleanup or block it at all?

Many thanks!

Konstantin,

Thanks for the additional info. To clarify my prior posting here’s an example of modifying the output template.  (I used the “Book” bibliography template for this example.)

1. As shown in Image 1, I modified the book template to encase the semicolon (followed by one blank space) within two forced separations.  After saving the changes to the output style, I created a “Book” reference which is shown in the library preview window with the semicolons (as defined in the bibliography template).

2. Here’s how the result looks in an MS Word doc.

@crazygecko wrote:

Konstantin,

Thanks for the additional info. To clarify my prior posting here’s an example of modifying the output template.  (I used the “Book” bibliography template for this example.)

1. As shown in Image 1, I modified the book template to encase the semicolon (followed by one blank space) within two forced separations.  After saving the changes to the output style, I created a “Book” reference which is shown in the library preview window with the semicolons (as defined in the bibliography template).

1. Here’s how the result looks in an MS Word doc.

Thanks so much, but I must emphasize that I need to have spacings around the semicolon: both left-hand and right-hand. In the meantime, on the screenshots you kindly provided the spacings follow the semicolon but fail to preceed it.

Let me show you some examples of references in Ukrainian:

1. Василій Великий. Гомілії / Василій Великий ; [пер. з давньогрец. Л. Звонська]. — Львів : Свічадо , 2006. — 307 с. — (Джерела християнського Сходу. Золотий вік патристики ІV—V ст. ; № 14).
  2. Шкляр В. Елементал : [роман] / Василь Шкляр. — Львів : Кальварія , 2005. — 196, [1] с. — (Першотвір).

See? But EndNote automatically “cleans-up” the spacings left to colons and semicolons and outputs the reference in the following way: " Львів: Кальварія ", – in line with conventional spell check but out of line with Ukrainian referencing.

Really count on your ideas!

The short answer is probably no.  I tried many permutations to retain that pesky space including the accent in front of it - combinations of the and link adjacent and forced separation and none of them worked.  ` should be a signal to Endnote that the following character should be treated exactly as it appears and not interpreted by endnote as a special character.  — nothing worked.  The developer was just too intent on saving us from ourselves I guess.  The best fix is the one I believe you mentioned at the beginning.  Do a search and replace for ; and replace with <space>; just before you submit. 

Konstantin,

Thank you for the detailed info which was very helpful and my apologies for misunderstanding your request. I would suggest using a Custom Field to “hold” the space-semicolon-space info and incorporating this Custom Field within the bibliography and reference templates

The procedure would be the following (refer to attached image):

1. Modify a Custom Field within each reference type (this example renames the custom field as: SemiColon).

2. Modify the bibliography output style to incorporate the Semicolon field (and encase it within forced separations).

3. Open each reference type and in the field named Semicolon, enter: [blank space]semicolon[blankspace]
        The semicolon surrounded by a blank space on either side is shown in the library preview window.

*Edited additional comment:  If your work entails changing styles, you may need to add another Custom Field and use the “link to adjacent text” code it to the “SemiColon” custom field so to prevent the space-semicolon-space from appearing when using a different style.

1 Like

@crazygecko wrote:

Konstantin,

Thank you for the detailed info which was very helpful and my apologies for misunderstanding your request. I would suggest using a Custom Field to “hold” the space-semicolon-space info and incorporating this Custom Field within the bibliography and reference templates

The procedure would be the following (refer to attached image):

1. Modify a Custom Field within each reference type (this example renames the custom field as: SemiColon).

1. Modify the bibliography output style to incorporate the Semicolon field (and encase it within forced separations).

1. Open each reference type and in the field named Semicolon, enter: [blank space]semicolon[blankspace]
        The semicolon surrounded by a blank space on either side is shown in the library preview window.

*Edited additional comment:  If your work entails changing styles, you may need to add another Custom Field and use the “link to adjacent text” code it to the “SemiColon” custom field so to prevent the space-semicolon-space from appearing when using a different style.

CrazyGecko,

Thank you. For me, your suggestion is the solution.

Best regards and good luck to you!

@leanne wrote:

The short answer is probably no.  I tried many permutations to retain that pesky space including the accent in front of it - combinations of the and link adjacent and forced separation and none of them worked.  ` should be a signal to Endnote that the following character should be treated exactly as it appears and not interpreted by endnote as a special character.  — nothing worked.  The developer was just too intent on saving us from ourselves I guess.  The best fix is the one I believe you mentioned at the beginning.  Do a search and replace for ; and replace with <space>; just before you submit. 

Leanne,

Thank you for your advice.

Indeed, most likely we cannot turn the clean-up feature off. But we can bypass it in a simple way CrazyDecko suggests.

Developing your idea, personally I would put “_” instead of spacing. When editing the final MS Word document, a macro can be run to find and replace “_” with regular spacings. Luckily, “_” is not a victim of autodeletion dog. Clumsy it is, but better than manual editing.

Best regards!

Konstantin,

Glad your problem is resolved and thanks for an interesting problem. Very enlightening to see how the templates prevent having a space-semicolon-space format.  You might suggest that the developers consider giving users greater control, particularly since you indicate this is a required format for your situation.