Beta Cite While You Write for Word 2011 Now Available

How do you move the library?  – Best to use the “compress” feature to ensure you compress all the files and folders and unpack them with the endnote program on the new computer. 

Leanne:

Thanks for your suggestion. In the past, I always did “drag-and-drop” for copying my library onto my thumb drive for transport. This was just a bit cumbersome, because I had to make sure to also drag-and-drop the folder “Library.Data”. I wasn’t aware of the compress function in X1. Now, in X4, the command is even more obvious. I have tried it and it works well.

Thanks again for this helpful suggestion!

I have the same problem, but it doesn’t disappear after reinstalling everything. I keep getting the “Word could not fire event” error message when I open a file in Word 2011.

What can I do? I really need the program!

Thanks.

The “Word cannot fire event” message means that Visual Basic for Applications is either not installed or is damaged. Run a custom install of Office 2011, selecting only Visual Basic for Applications. This almost always corrects the problem.

Thanks! That solved the problem completely.

Best,

I have been using the new program for a week or so.  Basically works like the old one.  The toolbar is unhinged and does not seem to stay where you put it.  A hassle and I hope they find a way to put it on the ribbon. 

I have also found that when I insert a citation, it takes considerably longer to do it than on Word 2008.   There is also a phenomenon of the Word document periodically “shaking” which I suspect is some automatic search for new citations.  It is distracting. 

Amalek, is you version of Word 2011 non-English, or are you using a non-English keyboard?

Regarding placing the toolbar in the Ribbon, Microsoft has chosen not to make an API available to third party developers to do this with Word 2011. We would encourage you to request this functionality by submitting feedback directly to Microsoft at the following URL:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suggestions.aspx

I almost never use the EndNote floating tool bar as I think the keyboard shortcuts are great and more convenient.

Ctrl+1 “go to word or endnote”

Ctrl+2 “insert citation and go back to word”

Ctrl+3 “Format bibliography”

etc…

All the keyboards shortcuts are found in the cite while you write preferences. Learning them has saved me a lot of time.

Mathilda–does the lack of tab add-in support by Word 2011 mean that the Endnote toolbar will continue to just float around? I keep dragging it to an unused part of my ribbon, but then find it ends up too often being in the middle of my screen. Is there a work around planned? Someway of dragging some of the buttons on the toolbar into the ribbon?

Thanks,

John

Regarding placing the toolbar in the Ribbon, Microsoft has chosen not to make an API available to third party developers to do this with Word 2011. We would encourage you to request this functionality by submitting feedback directly to Microsoft at the following URL:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suggestions.aspx

We are looking into the issue with the “floating” toolbar. This is not an across-the-board problem and has been reported by only a very small fraction of people who are using the public beta bundle.

Let me add myself to the list of those reporting the floating toolbar issue.

I suspect this occurs in most setups, and that the small number reporting it is indicative of low priority rather than low incidence.

I just move it out of the way or set Word not to view the toolbar. That doesn’t mean it isn’t annoying.

Thank you for making the beta version available. I have installed it and it seems to be working somehow, but I still have some issues.

First of all, the process of inserting a citation is very slow. It takes long before all libraries are updated and my page in Word keeps jumping from one page to another after the insertion is finished.

Secondly, I am experiencing some a problem with the way citation are added in the manuscript. They appear fine in the bibliography, but not in the main text. Sometimes initials or entire names are displayed, while that should not be the case. There doesn’t seem to be any login in which citations appear with names included…

" watermasses [Giancarlo G. Bianchi and McCave, 1999; Ledbetter, 1986; McCave et al., 1995]. However, in cases where deep-sea sediments are not only sorted by currents, its mean grain size may reflect the outcome of the various depositional processes [G. J. Weltje, 1997; Gert Jan Weltje and Prins, 2003; 2007]. "

I have checked the  format settings and they are OK. Any suggestions to solve this problem and the speed issue would be greatly appreciated.

I can’t comment on issues with speed or jumping, but the issue with full names vs initials are because the author fields for the same author in different records are entered in different ways.  In the example below, the author is entered in one record as G. J. Weltje (or Weltje, G. J.) and in the other  Gert Jan Weltje.  It is obvious to us that that is the same author, but not to endnote.  copy and paste one version replacing the other.  the same is likely true for Giancarlo G. Bianchi authored records.  Endnote is “disambiguating” them, which is a requirement in many journal instructions, if there are two different authors with the same surname.  You can also turn this setting off in the output style template, save it to a new name and change the manuscript to use that template, but if there were examples of two different authors, they would be incorrectly cited.  See this FAQ at the University of Queensland (which I hope is weathering the flooding okay?) for more detailed explanation. 

@lukas wrote:

Secondly, I am experiencing some a problem with the way citation are added in the manuscript. They appear fine in the bibliography, but not in the main text. Sometimes initials or entire names are displayed, while that should not be the case. There doesn’t seem to be any login in which citations appear with names included…

" watermasses [Giancarlo G. Bianchi and McCave, 1999; Ledbetter, 1986; McCave et al., 1995]. However, in cases where deep-sea sediments are not only sorted by currents, its mean grain size may reflect the outcome of the various depositional processes [G. J. Weltje, 1997; Gert Jan Weltje and Prins, 2003; 2007]. "

I have checked the  format settings and they are OK. Any suggestions to solve this problem and the speed issue would be greatly appreciated.

Our investigation of this mysterious toolbar repositioning behavior leads us to believe that this may be a Word 2011 issue. We have been able to reproduce this with Word’s own undocked toolbars, like the Database toolbar. If you are encountering this problem with EndNote’s toolbar but do not see it with other undocked toolbars, please post here with the application toolbar information so we can investigate further.

We have also been in touch with Microsoft but do not have confirmation yet that this is specific to the new version of Word.

- Mathilda, the EndNote team

Mathilda,

I’ve only had this problem with Word 2011. 

I’m not sure what you mean by “application toolbar information”

John

We believe this is specific to 2011 and not an EndNote issue. We have seen this behavior with Word’s own undocked toolbars, like the Word Database toolbar. Using the same steps in 2008, the repositioning does not occur.

- Mathilda, the EndNote team

The link to with information on the beta is broken. Does that mean that I cant get the Beta until the full version comes out?

The link is not exactly correct because there is an extra http:// at the beginning. Just click on the link and then remove the first http:// for it should work.

Hope this help and a moderator fixes the link soon.

Try this http://www.endnote.com/enword2k7.asp

I was able to end the “Word could not fire event” problem in Word 14.0.2:

* Quit Word

* Launch EndNote X4.0.2

* Select Customizer from the EndNote X4 menu

* Deselect “Cite While You Write Addin . . .”

* Click Next . . . Done.