Changing a setting in MLA

Hi!

I just started using endnote despite my  initial resolve to do all of my citations for my dissertation manually.

So far, I am frustrated by my inability to get a couple little quirks ironed out: like the translator’s name (which comes mid-reference in MLA, and should be Trans. Firstname Lastname, but is appearing as Trans. Lastname, Firstname.

Also, one of my works has two translators, and it is appearing as Trans. Lastname, Firstname Firstname and Lastname.  The only way I could change it was to make it say Trans. Firstname Lastname, and Firstname Lastname.  But it’s not supposed to have the comma. 

I would rather change the “rule” if possible rather than one specific citation so it doesn’t continue to be a problem. 

Thank you!

Could you provide examples of how the correct in-text citation and corresponding bibliographic reference should appear?

Hello.

What Endnote is creating is this reference:

Castiglione, Baldesar. The Book of the Courtier. Trans. Javitch, Daniel. New York: Norton, 2002. Print.

It is supposed to be:

Castiglione, Baldesar. The Book of the Courtier. Trans. Daniel Javitch. New York: Norton, 2002. Print.

And this one (with 2 translators) is:

Cicero. On the Ideal Orator (De Oratore). Trans. Wise, James M May and Jakob. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2001. Print.

and should be:

Cicero. On the Ideal Orator (De Oratore). Trans. James M May and Jakob Wise. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2001. Print.

Thanks!

The name order for translators is actually controlled by EndNote’s “Editor Name” section of the bibliography.   You’ll need to change the first editor’s name order setting* in the bibliography template to “Jane Smith” (instead of Smith, Jane) – see attached image. Note that this change means that names of translators and editors (for Book Section references) will now appear in first-then-last name order,

A modified copy of the MLA style is attached for your reference.

______

*Go to the EndNote toolbar, select Edit > Output Styles > Edit MLA.

MLA_spencerstudent.ens (46.7 KB)

Perfect! This solved the problem.  Thank you!