DTIC Library

I am obtaining my references from DTIC.  www dot dtic dot mil   How to attach the URL so the reference material is passed to end note and I do not have to type it in myself.

1 Like

You’ll need copy and paste the URLs into EndNote unless DTIC references can be:  1) exported directly into EndNote and include the URL field; or 2) saved as a “tagged” text file that includes the URL field which could be imported into EndNote using a custom filter.

You might contact the DTIC librarian to inquire about these options.

1 Like

DTEC says they can be exported as BibTex, aparently endnot canr read BibTex.

Hello,

We are currently working with DTIC to investigate the import issue. We will post an update when more information is available.

Best regards,

Sharon Ennis

The EndNote Team

So below is a typical export in BibTex from DTIC.  When I try to import in endnote Refer/BibIX nothing happens.  Any ideas.    

Standard Display   @techreport {ADB206602,   title = “Mobility Numeric System for Predicting In-the-Field Vehicle Performance. Report 1. Historical Review, Planned Development,”,   number = "ADB206602, XA, COE/DC, ",   institution = “ARMY ENGINEER WATERWAYS EXPERIMENT STATION VICKSBURG MS GEOTECHNICAL LAB”,   author = “Turnage, Gerald W”,   abstract = “”,   day = {01},   month = Dec,   year = {1995},   pages = “251”,   howpublished = “03 - U.S. GOVT. ONLY; DOD CONTROLLED, Unclassified”,    keywords = “MOBILITY, GROUND VEHICLES, VELOCITY, COMPUTER PROGRAMS, DATA BASES, MATHEMATICAL MODELS, ALGORITHMS, MILITARY VEHICLES, COMPARISON, FIELD TESTS, NUMERICAL ANALYSIS, INPUT OUTPUT PROCESSING, SAND, SOILS, MATHEMATICAL PREDICTION, WHEELS, CLAY, SLOPE, TRACKED VEHICLES, FRICTION, OFFROAD TRAFFIC, SOIL STRUCTURE INTERACTIONS, FINE GRAINED MATERIALS, RADIAL TIRES,”,   }

Standard Display   @techreport {ADA383183,   title = “Wheels and Tracks Study (10-25 Ton Armoured Fighting Vehicles)”,   number = “ADA383183, R/D, XA, 8956-MS-01, R/D, N68171-00-M-5554”,   institution = “ROYAL MILITARY COLL OF SCIENCE SHRIVENHAM (UNITED KINGDOM)”,   author = “”,   abstract = “This study was conducted by tie Engineering Systems Department of Cranfield University, at the Royal Military College of Science. Shrivenham, UK, for the Department of the Army, United States Army Research Laboratory, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland, USA. The scope of the study covers Terrain Accessibility (Section 1), Suspension and Automotive Performance (Section 2) and Other Factors (Section 3) in connection with tracked and wheeled armoured fighting vehicles (AFVs) in the 10 to 25 US ton range. Two aspects of terrain accessibility were covered in detail - soft-soil trafficability and obstacle crossing. Several different predictive methods were used to compare the trafficability of a sample of sixteen AFVs in the 10 to 25 US ton range, for clay soils and sands. The sample comprised eight tracked vehicles and eight wheeled vehicles, four of which were equipped wide a central tyre inflation system (CTIS). There were considerable differences in the predictions derived from the various methods, but some clear trends emerged.”,   day = {01},   month = Mar,   year = {2000},   pages = “134”,   howpublished = “01 - APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE, Unclassified”,    keywords = “COMBAT VEHICLES, TRACKED VEHICLES, ARMORED VEHICLES, MILITARY FORCES(UNITED STATES), METHODOLOGY, ARMY RESEARCH, SAND, TERRAIN, SOILS, CLAY, GROUND VEHICLES, ACCESS, ARMY, AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING, TRAFFICABILITY, UNITED KINGDOM, FOREIGN REPORTS”,   }

@u4gmlglm wrote:

So below is a typical export in BibTex from DTIC…   

Could you attach the exported BibTeX file? 

As requested.   DTIC is the oldest online digital library, just a suggestion, but endnote might consider adding it to the url list of online archives. 

DTIC-Bibliography-2014-Apr-29-1246.txt (7.72 KB)

So I see where EndNote has the option of importing a BibTex file.  But when I try to import the attached file which is suppose to be in BibTex nothing happens.  This file was exported from DTIC.

DTIC-Bibliography-2014-Apr-29-1246.txt (56.6 KB)

Thanks for the DTIC BibTeX text file. Comparing the tags of your BibTeX text file and EndNote’s BibTeX import filter shows the “tags” for each aren’t matching so that’s why the references aren’t importing. Based on the 5 tech report records in your text file I’ve modified EndNote’s BibTeX so the import now works at least for tech reports (see attached image).

Copy of the modified import filter is attached.

While the import works there are several issues remaining:

1.The modifications address only tech reports and is based on the tags in your 5 exported records. Further modifications may be needed to account for additional tags that may arise in subsequent records.

1. It seems DTIC does not include a URL tag in the exported text file so, in turn, no URL can be imported into EndNote. Sharon (enbeta) indicated in a prior posting to be working with DTIC to resolve the import issue so maybe the URL issue could also be checked.

2. DTIC (per your exported text file) exports dates as 3 separate tagged fields: day, month, year.  This creates a problem for EndNote as presently there isn’t an option for concatenating different tags so they can be imported into a single EndNote field (e,g., Year). If DTIC could include a tag which combines the fields in a single tag (appropriate for tech report dates) it would facilitate importing the info into EndNote.

4.To maintain upper- or lowercase lettering for acronyms or specific letters and words in titles, names, references, etc, use EndNote’s “Change Case” feature.

BibTeX_DTICtechrpts_u4gmlglm.enf (3.72 KB)

How do I integrate the filter into my version of endnote.

When you try to import the data endnot gives no information if it is unable to comply with the import request.   I guess I am using the wrong filter but I did put the filter in the correct folder.   However when you define which filter you are using endnot does not let you see the path it is using to the filters of the dates of the filters.   Anyway assuming I am using the filter endnote provided and I put the fitler in the correct folder /usr/documents/endnote/filter  The process does not seem to be working.

DTIC-Bibliography-2014-Apr-29-1246.txt (56.6 KB)

The import filter works for me using EndNote X7 with Windows 7 - see attached image of the import dialog box… Instructions for installing filters varies by EndNote version, computer, and possibly the location of the filters folder (for older versions of EndNote). Refer to the knowledgebase article “EndNote: Install additional Import Filters”:

http://endnote.com/kb/117420

If you installed the filter per the instructions and encounter import problems describe the steps taken* to import the text file and the result.

* File > Import > File; selected the import file and import option…
import file dialog box.gif

I have

Windows 7 Enterprise

Service Pact 1

According to instructions I created a folder    /users/mason/Documents/EndNote/Filters

The EndNote does not appear to recognize this folder.  I also changed preferences for filter folders.   However the Endnote defaults to the filters folder that is admin protected.   I would just ask our admin to move the file but I think I may have to edit this filter in the future.  Any suggestions?

Also a new file has shown up in my filter folder created toward the end of April entitled   Technical Reports (DTIC) created on April 22, 2014 and Last modfied on August 28, 2013.  Unfortunately it does not work.

I have EndNoteX7.  Does ythe filter you created work with this version of EndNote.

Ok we have the same version of windows and EndNote.  It is something else.  Sorry I have to go back and forth between emails to get everything in my head.    It must be the path or …

Ok, it is working.  Having to open the filter outside EndNote and then save it with the file save inside EndNote worked.   Still not sure why I could not get it to recognize the filter without opening the file first in EndNote.   But I am Happy.  Thanks.

Am I going to have to manually attach the PDF files using the tools inside EndNote or can EndNote do that also?

@u4gmlglm wrote:

Am I going to have to manually attach the PDF files using the tools inside EndNote or can EndNote do that also?

It depends:

1. If the pdfs are journal articles having a “DOI” (Digital Object Identifier) they can be imported into EndNote either a) manually; or 2) automatically. In both cases EndNote uses the DOI to generate a record in the library and attach the pdf to the record.

2. If the pdfs don’t have a DOI you can manually attach the file to the record. Note that the file can be attached as a relative link or with an absolute path. Refer to instructions below.

3. If you have references that don’t have pdfs or URL links to full text articles and want to locate them you could use the Find Full Text feature.

Refer to the training video “Building an EndNote Library: An EndNote Class Recording” – at the 39:19 mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkz1-1bHMHg&list=PL9C5A3FB4209B22C0

===============

Attached Files   (p. 211, EndNote X7 manual)

When you select File Attachments > Attach File from the References menu to insert a link to a file, you have two options available to you. You can:

Insert the file as a relative link .

In this case, EndNote makes a copy of the original file and places it in the DATA\PDF folder that is part of your EndNote database. EndNote will always be able to access the file, even when you share your database with a colleague. However, if you edit the original file on your computer, those changes will not be reflected in EndNote. You would need to clear the file from your EndNote reference and reinsert the file.

Insert the file with an absolute path.

In this case, EndNote will always look in the original folder for the inserted file. This can be helpful if you plan to edit the original file, and you want those changes reflected when you access the file from within EndNote. However, if you ever move the file from the original folder, EndNote will not be able to access it unless you clear the file from your EndNote reference and reinsert it from the new folder location. If you send your database to a colleague, the file will not be available.

By default, the check box titled “Copy new file attachments to the default file attachment folder and create a relative link” is selected, so that EndNote will copy linked files to the DATA\PDF folder. You can deselect this box in order to save absolute paths. You can always override this default setting on the file dialog when you are inserting a file.

Find Full Text always saves files to the default attachment folder and creates relative links.