Duplicate Ref's with Modified Custom Field not All Outputting Separately into Bibliography

EndNote X4 user:

I have sets of generic references with the same author, title, year but they are citing other articles.  I need to keep these articles linked into word.  I entered manually into the “source” references’ Custom 3 field text such as " citing: Secondary Source…" However, since all the other data is the same, when I went to output the bibliography, only the first entry for the generic reference was displaying.  Both via print to PDF and inserting references into word, the same issue.  I want to avoid having to move everything in the Custom 3 field into another field manually.  I need to over-ride the feature that only displays the first of any duplicate reference in the Word bibliography feature.  I have been asked not to modify any other fields so that the bibliography will output correctly, as a work around, because the recipient wants an EndNote library with the references linked to Microsoft Word 2007.  I have attached two references as examples (change file extension to enlx)

example 1.txt (18.4 KB)

You need to change your preferences (and the preferences of whomever is using the document) to not merge duplicates.  In Endnote, Edit>Endnote Preferences – Formatting .  You will see the image and remove the tick from the “Merge duplicates in bibliography” box.  save and close. 

If that setting is selected then the help file says that References are considered duplicates if they are the same reference type (such as Journal Article or Book) and the following fields are identical: Author, Year, Title, Secondary Title (Journal, Newspaper, Magazine, Book Title, Series Title, Conference Name, and so on), Volume, Issue, and Pages. - so I suppose another option is to make a small change to one of the fields you aren’t using?

merge.gif