E-Mail PDF problem

Hi,

I just encountered the following issue: Endnote does not attach pdfs to when there is a comma in the filename. All other files work perfectly well. Renaming the file (excluding the commas) does the trick. Also I do not rename the pdf on import. So, the issue might only apply to a few users. However, I thought reporting this can’t hurt.

I am using the latest version of Endnote X7.1 (build 7705) on Windows 7 64-bit and Thunderbird 24.1.0 as a mail client.

Cheers,

Mike

There are a number of characters that it is recommended not to use in file names in windows (including spaces if it is ever going to be used/transfered to a Unix/Linix system). It may be your mail program that is unable to deal with the name? It might be it expects to find the “file type” 3 letter code which usually lives right after the full stop, so it knows what kind of file it is. In these days of spam with long filenames that try to mimic file types, but then go one to be something else, it may be trying to figure out what file type it is before sending?  

I rarely email directly from Endnote.   

Short and long file names must not contain the following characters:

• slash (/) or ()
  • question mark (?)
  • vertical bar (|)
  • right angle bracket (>)
  • left angle bracket (<)
  • colon (:slight_smile:
  • asterisk (*)
  • quotation mark (")

In addition, short file names (the old DOS limit of 8.3 characters) must not contain the following characters:

• plus sign (+)
  • comma (,)
  • semicolon (:wink:
  • equals sign (=)
  • left square bracket ([)
  • right square bracket (])

Hi Leanne,

sorry for replying that late and thanks for your informations.

Interestingly, it seems to be an Endnote-specific issue, because when I use the “attach feature” in Acrobat the file is attached. It just comes quite handy to email a ref and the pdf with one simple click.

I guess I just have to rethink my naming conventions of pdf documents or leave that to Endnote in the first place.

Cheers,

Michael