EN20 Functionality Concerns

My organisation is deferring migration to EN20 EndNote.
Several staff have trialled using EN20.3 and then EN20.4.1 and we are very unhappy with the loss of functionality, in particular:

|Terms list prompts|None|When in a controlled field everything is red, there are no suggestions|
|Font size|Fewer choices|Received lots of complaints about this|
|Edit field|Fields really small|Most of the region is taken up with field names|
|Empty fields|All fields displayed|No option to not display empty fields, more scrolling required|
|Empty fields > edit field|All fields displayed|The fields selected for a give ref type are not transferring to the edit field, all generic fields displayed|
|Lost the link with MSWord2021 CWYW|No CWYW after install|Everyone has to uninstall EN20 and install a second time|
|Show/hide selected References|Option removed|Used this a lot|
|Search results|No group fof results|Canā€™t search within or highlight terms in search results - used these features a lot|
|Preview screen|Summary surperfluous|It is confusing to have two displays here (summary and preview) ; Several staff didnā€™t know there was w preview field as install defaulted to hiding the preview|
|Background|very dark|quite depressing|
|Layout changes|Options removed|Regularly display pdf and edit fields together when importing pdf EN canā€™t recognise|
We have advised Clarivate of our concerns and will keep a watching brief and see if future upgrades/versions restore these features

10 Likes

My feelings, precisely. Iā€™ve reverted to the X9 version.

2 Likes

would also add the preview pane is on the right. Which makes reading quite difficult. It should be on the bottom; or customizable at least.

2 Likes

Long time user of Endnote, and have refused to upgrade to 20 from X9. Very disappointed. I plan to retire before I have to upgrade.

2 Likes

I spoke with EndNote Support about these same issues shortly after the last update was posted. I train faculty, graduate students, and residents on the use of EndNote. The response from Support was that they are aware of these issues and are working on fixes. That was a very long time ago. When will we see fixes?

3 Likes

The only reason I ā€˜likedā€™ this post is that it matches some of the problems I have been having. When something Iā€™ve used for years suddenly starts breaking, itā€™s really frustrating. [What level of frustration have I dealt with in the past? Oh, RefMan in 2003ā€¦]

Rh

3 Likes

Another long-time EndNote user (>10yrs) and we refuse to move to 20 also due to these functionality concerns. Really hurts usability of the product, I donā€™t see why anyone would prefer 20

2 Likes

ā€¦and I have a response from Clarivate ā€¦ " We understand that some parts are still inaccessible, and some features are not responding correctly in the EndNote program. I have already raised a concern to work on this issue with our developer team. They are working on this diligently. Rest assured that we will keep you notified if there is an update to this request. However, we cannot provide you with any concrete time frame for this request from the technical support team.

Besides that, I would also suggest you post your concerns or suggestions within the EndNote Product Suggestion Forum to foster community discussion on enhancement ideas: https://community.endnote.com/. This way the messages sent through this form are rarely returned. Our development staff reads each one for consideration for future program updates. We appreciate your comments and your willingness to help make our products better for all users."

Ha Ha ā€“ there isnā€™t a ā€œEndnote Product suggestion Forumā€ here anymore!

1 Like

I stand corrected ā€” I guess there is a ā€œtaggedā€ system, ā€” This forum is so confusing. Do I only see general posts then?

1 Like

Check out your preference > notifications
Then check you ā€œcategoriesā€ under notifications
Good luck sorting it!

the dark background is awful. Iā€™ll not consider buying any new version of endnote until the background can be changed.

Great! I agree with you,

So just installed EN21 and checked all the functionality issues we have with EN20. Sadly there is very little change. 11 feature remain unresolved, 4 are fixed and 4 have changed but are not fixed. In addition ā€¢ CWYW not working, wonā€™t connect to library, canā€™t find any references to insert. In library the
insert ref option is greyed out. All in all no plans to upgrade soon!

3 Likes

Why are they releasing ā€œupgradesā€ if the functionality promised is not yet operational?