EndNote & Legacy Literature Searches

I have been searching for literature from 1970’s, 1980’s and older.  Why is it that EndNote X5 does not identify articles of this vintage?

Rick 

It might be the search criteria you’re specifying.  What database are you using and how are you searching for the articles?

I doubt this, but I should alter the databases as you suggest.  I changed to Web of Knowledge only once so I assume the rest of my attempts were made using NCBI/PubMed.  Can we add databases such as SciFinder, JStore, SciVerse, or others?

My search criteria is for a specific author and keywords I know to be in the abstract.  I have the hard copies of the papers so I cannot go wrong with these parameters.  However, EndNote X5 failes me every time. 

Thanks for the info as it’s now sounding like the problem might be the way you’re trying to access the online databases and what you’re trying to access (i.e., open access vs. restricted). First, were you searching PubMed or PubMed Central?  In the case of PubMed, note that this database differs from PubMed Central. PubMed carries only citations and abstracts only while PubMed Central carries full-text articles. 

Second, some databases like PubMed (NLM) are open access so are free to users. However, other databases like SciFinder and JSTOR, for example, are subscription-based and restrict access.  Universities often subscribe to various online databases so if you’re a “member” of your respective university (e.g., student, faculty, staff), access is usually not a problem if your institution has a subscription to the database you wish to search.  For more info on free or restricted-access database refer to the EndNote manual or check the “Help” feature on the toolbar.

For the latest information on PubMed check the Thomson Reuters site: http://www.endnote.com/enpmalert.asp