Endnote X5 hangs up when loading large database

So far I was working with X4 and all worked fine. But X5 does not load my main database (with more than 7000 entries and lots of PDFs) at all. Never. It is loading smaller databases, but not the large one. At the end - after quite a while - appears “Endnote Error”.  I tried both ways, loading the file and clicking on the file. Does anyone has an idea what might be the problem? (working with XP SP3, Word 2007 etc.)

Does it show it is indexing the PDFs that could take a long time, the first time you open the library.  Try starting that, and going to lunch. 

Yes, X5 starts indexing and after quite a while the “Endnote error” appears (Endnote is not crashing altogether). I already tried to use the repair function, but the same thing happens with the repaired version of the database. Well, X4 is running perfectly, but the indexing function of X5 seems not to work with a large database. When I test a small database of about 20 entries and 20 PDFs, X5 works fine.

You may need to ask tech support for help.  Can you compress it with X4 and then try to open the compressed library in X5?

Given the size of the Database exceeding 4GB, the compression does not work any more. The database is okay, the compression works fine in X4 when I leave out the PDF files.

Now the (not so) funny part of the story is, that as soon as I start X5, the program desperately seeks to index PDF Files (and hangs up), so I cannot test to open the compressed database (the one without the PDF-files in the compressed file). So I am simply stuck… And will continue to work with X4. How frustrating! Is there anyone out who has experiences with X5 and large databases with lots of PDF, altogether beyond 7GB?

Same problem here. 15gb database, impossible to compress. I wish I had never tried to upgrade. Now also stuck

The very first time you open a large library in X5 with lots of attachments, it takes a prodigiously long time to load because it is indexing all the PDFs.  If you are patient and go to lunch or something, it eventually opens and it doesn’t happen again. 

Edit - Oh, I see, I’ve said that before.  Guess I haven’t hit the magic number yet. 

@leanne wrote:

The very first time you open a large library in X5 with lots of attachments, it takes a prodigiously long time to load because it is indexing all the PDFs.  If you are patient and go to lunch or something, it eventually opens and it doesn’t happen again. 

 

Edit - Oh, I see, I’ve said that before.  Guess I haven’t hit the magic number yet. 

I have tried over twenty times, letting X5 update. Each time either it crashes or ends with “endnote error”.  Each time, I left the computer alone and stopped all programs to let the “prodigous” time undisturbed, including one that took over an hour before it gave the endnote error.

I guess I need a magic number too. Let me know how many more times this needs to crash before this concern is not dismissive as naive.

First, I am just a user too, so don’t assume I am giving you a company reply.  Thus, it would make the most sense to take this to tech support so you can get an official reply and perhaps even a solution?  Then letting us other users know the outcome would be most helpful. 

thanks,

I have also experienced this problem even when loading relatively small libraries (140 MB) that have multiple PDFs (210) attached. It says it’s “indexing” them and gets all the way to the end (209 of 210) and then says “the document could not be opened”. Has anyone gotten help from tech support?

I had the exact same problem. Everything worked perfectly in X4, but when upgraded to X5, some libraries would load and others woudl not.

I figured out that I had hidden the folder part of some databases (e.g. “My Library.Data” folder) so that the folder structure in my windows explorer is not cluttered. I just had to unhide the folder by right clicking on it and unchecking “Hidden”.

First you will need to make your hidden folders visible, if they are not showing. See here for instructions: http://maketecheasier.com/display-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows/2009/09/05

I have this problem as well except it is happening with the 30-day trial version of Endnote X6. I have a mac running the lates OS and several thousand pdfs and entries in my library - the indexing is never able to finish and hence the repetative crashes. I will try creating a new libary and dragging and dropping limited number of entries into the new one and see if that works but it will be a big time suck and a pain to ensure comprehensiveness and continuity.

thanks for posting on this everyone.