INVALID CITATION

I have a user who is getting this error in a document when he inserts a new citation.

I think it happens to citations where the EndNote record number in the document (e.g., #139) belongs to a different item in the EndNote library.

I’ve advised my user to take those citations out (the problem is identifying them) and reinserting them (they are in his library but with a different record number).

If there’s a different solution I’d appreciate knowing about it!

Also, I have not been able to work out how he managed to do this.

Keith

Keith Nockels

University of Leicester Library, UK

@knockels wrote:

I think it happens to citations where the EndNote record number in the document (e.g., #139) belongs to a different item in the EndNote library… (the problem is identifying them)…

Did the user mistakenly use a different library for this document?  If the use has multiple libraries, maybe open a couple of them simultaneously then unformat then reformat a backup copy of the document to see if the invalid citations are corrected.

If no other libraries were used then perhaps the user could unformat then reformat a backup copy of the document. This may at least help identfiy the “orphan” citations that lack a corresponding reference in the EndNote library. But without a record number it’ll probably require a bit of sleuthing to identify the reference, add it to the library, then reinsert the citation.

Thanks for that - he did mention to me about having merged some libraries together, so he may well have started writing with more than one.

My advice to him seems to have worked, which is reassuring!

Keith