Keyboard navigation in X4 broken

Just got EndNote X4 for Word 2010. When I attempt to enter new bibliographic records, the TAB and SHIFT-TAB keys, which ordinarily get me back and forth between fields in the record, do not work. Instead, when the TAB key is pressed, a tab is inserted into the line that is being edited, leaving me still on the same field.

None of the other keyboard shortcuts - ^N for a new record, ^S for saving a record, and ^W to close a record – seem to work either. What is going on? The software is unusable this way.

I determined the problem. The EndNote Web login window was in the background. For some reason, it was stealing focus from the main Endnote window, but only for the control keys and tabs. The remainder of the keys were registering in the main Endnote window. Once I closed the Endnote Web login window, all control keys and the tab keys worked again in the main window.

I recently purchased EndNote X4. I am using it on Mac 10.5.8. This problem keeps coming up with me, but it is completely inconsistent. One reference the tab key will change fields correctly then the next one it will get stuck on a field - a different field every time.

I double checked the EndNote web window and it is closed, there is no relation to it. 

Most of what I do is adding references, with a tab key that might or might not work on each reference X4 is fast becoming a royal pain. Any solutions???

Yep.

Same thing happens to me.

I’ve been using Endnote since version X and frankly I have yet to find a reason for paying 4 upgrades to version X4 (I have it through my University). With this kind of problems, I find Endnote to be a simple “Milk Cow” to TR, without added value between releases.

Regards,

@pneves wrote:

Yep.

Same thing happens to me.

I’ve been using Endnote since version X and frankly I have yet to find a reason for paying 4 upgrades to version X4 (I have it through my University). With this kind of problems, I find Endnote to be a simple “Milk Cow” to TR, without added value between releases.

Regards,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I too have used older versions of EndNote, since way before it was bought by Thomson Reuters. There is no reason for Reuters to charge more than $25 upgrade prices for any of their versions since EndNote 6 (at least). Each upgrade has been very incremental and quite minor. 

Same thing happens to me, using Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and EndNote 4.0.2. It is very annoying!

So, this broken basic behavior (tabbing between fields) has gone unaddressed for over a year. Shocking, but unfortunately no longer surprising.

I have been using Endnote since version ONE. Thomas Reuters curatorship of this program has truly been the worst. Hugely, hugely disappointing (basic bugs, unresponsiveness to them, breaks with every OS uptick, significant upgrade prices for no significant new functionality).

–GR