Mixing references in endnote with those that aren't

New to Endnote and loving it so far but so grateful if someone can help me with this…

My journal articles are in endnote and I can insert them in a word document. But then I have a non journal (non standard) reference e.g. the USDA food database and I don’t know how to insert this reference (manually?) in word to sit among the journal references. I hope this makes sense

Many thanks - Zoe

I am not entirely clear on what the reference is that you want to occur in the reference list.  If you could provide an example of the content? 

In addition to “journal” reference type, there are a large number of other reference types, one of which might provide the right output for your database reference.  What kinds of informaiton will you want listed in the output.  Not all reference types are represented in each output style, so you may also need to edit your output style to accomodate an eclectic reference type, especially if you construct a new one. 

Give us the details, and we or the tech support people can help. 

Hi there - many thanks for the reply. I’ve since found the ‘different reference types’, which is a great start.

For my current article the main issue is that many different food compositions need to be referenced and the US Dept Agric database is the best source. There is a document source that applies to all of them (“Composition of Foods, Raw, Processed, Prepared, USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 21”. US Department of Agriculture, Human Nutrition Research Centre. (September 2008). But then each product has a URL reference e.g.

Egg, whole, raw, fresh (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/111/2))

Cheese, cheddar (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/8/2)) and the database reference option doesn’t seem to work well for this.

I don’t know if you have to take all notes in a document from end note or if you can take most of them from endnote and manually insert some more unusual ones, like these?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks - Zoe

So would you want an individual reference for each of these in your list, or would you want them to be sublisted under the primary source (which will not be easy with Endnote) and how would you envision citing the URLs for each of the products?   

What base style are you using?  A footnote and/or Bibliography style? You might consider one citation and footnoting the URL with Endnote.  Endnote can handle a bibliography and a distinct footnote style.  Or you can just insert a footnote in word and paste in the URL, but I think letting endnote do it would be better. 

these answers will affect how other users might suggest you approach the issue.

zoeharcombe wrote:

(“Composition of Foods, Raw, Processed, Prepared, USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 21”. US Department of Agriculture, Human Nutrition Research Centre. (September 2008).

But then each product has a URL reference e.g.

Egg, whole, raw, fresh (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/111/2))

Cheese, cheddar (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/8/2)) and the database reference option doesn’t seem to work well for this.

I don’t know if you have to take all notes in a document from end note or if you can take most of them from endnote and manually insert some more unusual ones, like these?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks - Zoe

Hi there - this is really useful. I’m using a bibliography and don’t want to use footnotes. I’ll trial your tip on the full reference on the first one and then just the food reference on subsequent ones.

Thanks again - Zoe

You have to watch out for the fact that Endnote sometimes will not distinguish between very similar records, which differ by URL for example and will “merge” them as if they are exactly the same.  – to avoid this, you may have to turn off the merge bibliography setting in the preferences section.  If the author, title, year are identical, it depends on what is different that might allow endnote to distinguish between them.