Multiple reference lists by 'academic value'

Hi all,

I’ve searched through this forum but couldn’t find a previous question (nor answer ;)) for this, so therefore this new post:

I am looking to create different reference lists in my thesis, relating to their academic value so to speak. This means I would like to differentiate between e.g. peer-review journals (A1,A2…An refs), peer-review conferences (B1,B2…,Bn), etc. As far as I’m concerned just differentiating between two would already be fine, but I can’t seem to get it working.

I saw that there are options to do references per section in your document, I was hoping you can also sort them based on other aspects (perhaps some field in the entry in Endnote?).

Kind regards!

The reference list seems unconventional. Does it meet requirements of your university or discipline governing style requirements?

It’s possible to create multiple reference lists based on a rating system (“academic value”) by manipulating the custom fields and sort order. This can generate separate bibligraphies that are segregated by reference type the(so journal articles and conference papers are grouped) then sorted respectively by academic value, however, the authors won’t be sorted in alpha order. (This is because “academic value” is sorted first before author in order for the ratings to be in ascending order - but if this isn’t an issue, the sort order can be changed so authors are sorted before the academic value.)

Yeah the head of my department asked for it, seeing as part of my thesis is nearly completely uncovered in academic literature and thus I have some references to publications from professional literature rather than academic.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by your method of sorting, e.g. how it works? I couldn’t quite figure it out. Also, if I understand it correctly it will still be one list, but then sorted by just the ‘type’ and not alphabetically (ergo, we’ll have 1,2…,n, but with 1 - i being of type 1, i - j being of type 2, etc?) (i < j < n).

Takes a department head to complicate matters.

This process (untested) is going to involve several steps but might be simplified if the academic values have some ordered sequence as described in item #2.

1. Modifying the affected reference templates (e.g., Journal Article, Conference Paper) by adding a Custom field. Bothe the Journal Article and Conference Paper templates would have a field named (for example): Academic Value. This field will be used to capture the rating info.  Note: It’s important to use the same custom field number for both reference types.

2. Once the reference templates have their respective field added, each reference will need to be manually coded according to the respective academic value codes (1,2…n) for journal articles or conference papers. The coding is important because numeric codes supercede alpha codes - so for example, “5” will appear before “n”; 1 precedes “5”; “i” precedes “k”. The key issue is that the numeric codes are in ascending order followed by letter codes that also are in ascending order: 1, 2, 3, 4, …a, b, c…"

3. Then the EndNote output style’s “Bibliography Sort Order” should be changed to a custom sort ("Other). Then the sort order can be defined as: Reference Type + Custom + Author + Year. This sort order will first aggregate the references by type before sorting by academic value, author, then year.  Once the bibliography is generated, though, you will need to manually cut-and-paste the journal articles and conference papers into separate lists.

You might start out looking at this U of Queensland Faqand see if you can adapt it to your needs.  Combining category, numbers (either alpha or order of appearance but I am not sure what you mean by “(ergo, we’ll have 1,2…,n, but with 1 - i being of type 1, i - j being of type 2, etc?) (i < j < n).” ?  (anded link in edit).

Awesome guys, I have it working. Manually copy+pasting in the end is a small sacrifice. Now all I have to do is encode all my references… :-/

Thanks!