Problem with Exporting Edited Style

I have edited my output style to end each reference with Keywords, Abstract and Notes.  The edited output style appears in my library window, but does not conform when exporting.  Here is an example of an exported entry with an abstract using the edited (and saved!) output style (note that titles for Keyword, Abstract and Notes are all missing):

Edin, K. (2000). “What Do Low-Income Single Mothers Say about Marriage?” Social Problems 47(1): 112-133.

Current theories of marriage under-predict the extent of non-marriage, have not been adequately tested, or do not apply well to women with low-socioeconomic status. Furthermore, scholarly research on marriage attitudes among low-SES women suffers from a lack of up-to-date qualitative work. This study draws on qualitative interviews with 292 low-income single mothers in three U.S. cities. Inductive analysis reveals five primary motivations for non-marriage among low-income single mothers. Most mothers agree that potential marriage partners must earn significantly more than the minimum wage, but also emphasize the importance of stability of employment, source of earnings, and the effort men expend to find and keep their jobs. Mothers place equal or greater emphasis on non-monetary factors such as how marriage may diminish or enhance respectability, how it may limit their control over household decisions, their mistrust of men, and their fear of domestic violence. Affordabi

Also, does anyone know why the abstract cuts off at a certain point or how to change that? 

You don’t tell us what version of Endnote you are using, but recent versions do not automatically use the output style selected in Endnote; you need to specify the output style in the Export Dialog box, lower right hand corner drop down box. 

Does the record itself contain the whole abstract?  These are often truncated in some databases, if they are more than than allowable length but I don’t know why it would truncate it mid-word. 

Thanks for your response.  Sorry for not specifying the version.  I am using Endnote X1.  When I used File → Export (.rtf), I did specify the Output Style…still not working.  

The abstract from the original record (JSTOR) is complete, but when I imported the reference from JSTOR into EndNote X1, it truncated it.  Perhaps this is an issue with JSTOR and how their database exports records. 

The truncated abstract is not as much a big deal as the need to export additional bibliographic fields from my library.

Please attach the style you are using? 

The style is attached…

Annotated - Key_Ab_Note.ens (16 KB)

I see you placed them in the Layout, rather than the template.  It is working for me in X3… Maybe you should try it in the templates?  remember to ensure that the field name is not confused with the field, to surround it with reverse apostrophes (top row, far left key, at least on a US PC keyboard). 

Thanks!  Got it to work.

I may have the same problem. I need to construct a  research note page  that supplies thee following data.

Type of source:                 book, journal, etc

Cite key:                             (author, date)

Abstract :                             Downloaded or supplied info on content of source

Keywords :                          words significant to the source (database/library keywords and my own

Excerpt :                              My thoughts and learnings relative to comment below

Comment on this source : A quote or paraphrase

I have not used Endnotes in a few years, attempts to construct a page using the selected bibliographic menu item did not produce the results need.  I have renamed and assigned custom fields. I have considered formatting a style template, not sure if doing so will meet the need and not interfere with normal citations/bibliographic settings when writing a paper or require my constantly changing reference fields.  LouOx2

Two thoughts…

1.  Developing your own output style using the existing EndNote reference fields might be the practical, long-term solution.  It’s just  matter of  building the style template around the EndNote fields and prefacing them with the text captions noted in your example…  Attached is a sample modified output style based on the “Annotated” style.  Refer to images 2 and 3 to the style’s appearance in the EndNote preview window and in an MS Word document.

As a point of reference, here’s how your fields would correspond to the EndNote fields:

Type of Source —> Reference Type

Cite key → Author, Year

Abstract → Abstract

Keywords → Keywords

Excerpt → Research Notes

Comment on this source → Label*

*Instead of using the “Label” field it may be more appropriate to make a custom field and name it: Comment.  If so, the output style will need to be modified to change use of the “Label” field to now the “Comment” field…

1. An alternative method, depending upon your version of EndNote, might be to generate a “Subject Bibliography” based on your EndNote library using specific field codes (i.e., Reference Type, Author, Year, Abstract, KeyWords, Research Notes, Notes). The result will be displayed in a separate window from which you could copy and paste the content into an MS Word document.  To check if your version of EndNote has the “Subject Bibliography” option, go to the toolbar, select TOOLS then see if it’s listed.  If not, you may could try downloading the trial version of EndNote(which runs for 30 days) .

1_Annotated _ModifiedStyle.ens (9.15 KB)

Thanks for the help.  Did try and construct an output style thus today far not working however will keep trying.  Will let you know how it goes.  The selected bib is limited I did experiment couple of days ago.  I have 25-50 research note reflections per class, I am taking 4 class automation is needed.  I am using X5.

Fantastic with the adjustments you noted!!  Ya’ll are the best.  One last thing.  I know I can change styles and copy formatted to include a regular bib entry at the end of the document is there anyway to also generate an APA 6 bib at the end of document at the same time?  I know I am asking a lot.  Either way it goes I am telling my classmates to go with Endnotes as I have for years now! LouOX2

Since the output style’s been modified to generate the annotated “note card” content (as you indicate on an earlier posting) that’s what the style is now “programmed” to do.  So simultaneoustly generating both the note cards with a single consolidated APA formatted bibliography with the same style does not appear to be an option at the moment.

However,  there are still ways to generate a bibliography: 1) Use the “Subject Bibliography” option then copy and paste the results at the end of the document [Note: Go to the toolbar, select Tools > Subject Bibliography];  and as you noted, 2) Generate a separate document just for the APA bibliography, then convert the document to a text file and copy and paste the bibliography into the “note card” document.

You can try the two options to see which better suits your work style but either way, it’s still a time-saver.

*Edit Addendum:

I forgot to mention in my prior posting that the Citation Template which generates the in-text citation should be deleted.  This is to prevent displaying in-text citations along with the annotated note cards in the MS Word document.

Here’s another “old school” option to consider.  It’s easy to change the style layout so the APA formatted reference appears with each note card. Then it’s just a matter of consolidating the references by copying and pasting each one into a single list at the end of the document.

Here’s a modified output style with the notecard and APA 6th formatting.  You can experiment to see which method (described here and in prior posting) meets your work style.

NoteCardStyle_APA6thBib.ens (63.6 KB)

Or make two documents, one with each style and combine them at the end of the day, after unlinking the fields.