I am an EndNote user for over 15 years with a database of around 11000 entries. Since I updated from X9.3.2 to X9.3.3 around two months ago, I have experienced numerous problems:
- Each time it syncs with my online backup, it freezes completely. Syncs usually take 1-2 minutes (but are taking gradually longer) and they happen with increased frequency, preventing me from working continuously for more than 5 minutes at a time.
- When I edit an entry and move to another one, there is a very slow lag (with ‘black screen’) of several seconds, again slowing down my work.
- EndNote errors become more frequent (I cannot recall the exact message and do not know how to replicate), leading to crashes and even to the corruption of my database, which luckily I succeeded in recovering by using a backup I had saved (the Recover database tool failed to work).
I want to note that ALL of these problems started immediately after updating to X9.3.3 and never occurred previously (e.g., syncs took place smoothly in the background as I worked). My database is large but consists of no embedded/attached PDFs and I remained a loyal EndNote user precisely because I found the experience smooth and efficient, with edits and searches being immediate with no lags. Since update, these problems occur constantly.
I have just submitted a technical complaint on the website but am writing in this form since I suspect I am not the only one and assume that Clarivate needs to hear from more of us to fix these problems. Unfortunately, because of the nature of this update, I cannot return to X9.3.2 without losing all edits to my database–otherwise I would gladly cancel this latest update!