Should I switch from RM12 to Endnote?

Have long used RM, but most of my work is in history and I’m baffled at how to enter endless reams of letters from A to B on this or that date from this or that archive and make it work for me in the bibliography. Am so frustrated by this that doing references is the most anxiety inducing and most hated part of my research, so I leave it to the last, which creates further problems. Many a time I wish I had just stuck to the old way of manually typing the references into the document without using RM at all. Was it an error to get into RM, and is Endnote more appropriate to the social sciences?  

I’m not familiar with RM12, but as a genealogist I have some of the same issues you do. I am currently trying the new version of EndNote, and so far I’m not sure I’ll be able to use it. I’ve been doing my citations by hand, and it is a pain, especially when using multiple copies of a source. Trying to remember if I already created a footnote and can use a short form, etc. I keep a copy of Evidence Explained by Mills close at hand. That’s the genealogists (works for historians too) bible on citing historical sources. But it would sure be nice to be able to automate.

My suggestion would be to download the trial version which will give you 30 days to see if it meets your needs. That’s what I have done and I’m now reading and watching everything I can to get up to speed as quickly as possible. The automation would sure be nice, if it works like I need it to.

Two things that may be of help.

This web site from the University of Queensland has some good pointers about setting up and using EndNote as footnotes in Word

http://www.library.uq.edu.au/endnote/footnote.html

This sction of the help manual - Modifying Style Templates beginning on page 235 (actually page 260 of pdf)

http://www.endnote.com/support/helpdocs/EndNoteX4Help.pdf

It may require a little work up front, but the automation will be worth it. Check out these sites and you may find you can use them with RM12. They both come from the same company, so may be similar in configuration.