SIGLE

I use in-text citation: (Smith, 1985:12)

Some authors I use regularly and therefore I would like to use a sigle for the work, such as

(SN: 12)

SN = Smith, Jeff (1985): »Some Title«, Place: MIT Press

The basic but tiresome solution would be to 

Use a prefix: »SN:«

and then exclude author and year to get

(SN: 12)

Endnote-People, I am asking you for a professional solution to this problem. It can’t be that one has to manually add sigles as prefixes. This creates mistakes and it is tiresome (actually impossible) to change the sigle in a document with hundrets of pages if one needs to adjust something later on. There must be an automatic solution.

Two suggestions:

One option would be to create additional in-text citations but I couldn’t manage to add another template apart from the two templates provided by endnote (1 = Citation, 2 = Citation - Author (Year))

Instead of (Author, Year it should be possible to choose myself which field will be displayed instead. For example I could save my sigles in the Short Title field and output this field instead. All that would be needed is one more template for the in-text citations.

Second solution, which would really boost endnote: Add the functionality of if/then clauses to templates. Then everyone can simply »code« themselves all possible templates one can think of!

I don’t have a clue what a SIGLE is?  

To put it simple: It is a short form or a symbol used as an abbreviation in citations.

(Smith: 1985:12) => (SN, 12)

Most of the time, the title of the Work is used. 

SN = Smith, Jeff (1985): »Some Note«, Place: MIT Press.

S (some)

N (note)

Please look again at the example (context) provided. It should be understandable. If needed I can explain it in detail. (Besides this has a nice tradition reaching back to the first copyists of latin texts :slight_smile: