The "with" author in APA 6

I’m trying to figure out how to enter book authors in X5 when, after the first two authors, there’s a “with” author.  APA 6 says text citations omit the “with” author and references show that author in parenthesis.  I see no way in X5 to designate an author as a “with” author.

Example:

This example uses this book, listed in Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Information-Economics-Business-Performance-Technology/dp/0134645952%3FSubscriptionId%3D15HRV3AZSMPK0GXTY102%26tag%3Damznsearch.ms.vs-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3D0134645952

If the authors are listed in X5 as:

Parker, M. M.

Benson, R. J.

(with Trainor, H. E.)

I get this reference generated:

Parker, M. M., Benson, R. J., & (with Trainor, H. E. (1988). Information economics: Linking business performance to information technology. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.

If I remove the parenthesis from the author field, I get this reference generated:

Parker, M. M., Benson, R. J., & with Trainor, H. E. (1988). Information economics: Linking business performance to information technology. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks,

Richard

Perhaps this thread might help – though it’s in relation to an earlier version of EndNote and APA (and I don’t have an APA manual on me this time either!)

Cheers

John

1 Like

Second John-Arnold on not having an APA 6th manual handy but assuming that “with” authors are supposed to be cited in that manner, here’s a suggestion which treats “with [author name]” as a separate field.

Let the Author field hold the “normal” author names (i.e., Parker,  Benson) but create a custom field tin the Book reference type template to accommodate “with” author names.  Then modify the bibliography Book template to include the new custom field.  (The custom field could also include “with” linked to the custom field so it’s automatically generated when there is a corresponding author name present in the custom field.) Then the bibliography will reflect situations where there is a “with” author (Trainor) while letting the Author in-text citation reflect the two authors (Parker, Benson).

This may, in fact, work…but the , solution sounded a lot easier so I tried it first and it worked…:wink:

Thanks,

Richard