Use existing bookends bibliography in a word document with endnote?

Hey,

I am currently using ‘Bookends’ to insert citations and create a bibliography for my thesis but really dislike the fact that the database is constantly crashing the last two weeks (although it was always possible to rebuild the db) and neither new installation nor updating helped.

Anyways, as I have already finished 80% of my thesis incl. the references I was wondering if I could switch to endnote without redoing all the citations?

Currently the document is full of the “preeliminary” references/spaceholders that are inserted in the text by ‘Bookends’ and can then be converted accordingly into the choosen output style, for example: {xxx et al., 2011, #55093; yyy et al., 2008, #36787}.

As I guess that it would not be a problem to export the references and import it to Endnote, I guess my question is if Endnote can correctly identify these spaceholders and work with them?

Or maybe there is another smart way to solve my problem?

As I would be really happy not to redo all the references, I am more than thankful for all your input!

Big thanks,

e

Looks to me, like if they are plain text, you should be able to search and replace to remove the et al and punctuation leaving {Author, YEAR #recno}, but the record numbers won’t match so you might need to go thru it once to associate the correct reference.  If you could import whatever bookends is using as the record identifier number into the label field, you could get rid of the # in a search and replace and tell endnote to look for the label field as the unique identifier.  (you change this setting in Endnote in Edit>preferences, “temporary citations” settings.  To get to the instructions, you need to search the knowledge base here for bookends. But I copied the instructions below.

The good thing, is that Endnote allows you have a free trial, so you could test it before purchasing?  Maybe try it on a chapter. 

conversion:

EndNote : Importing references created in Bookends into EndNote

You can import a Bookend library including Notes and attachments into EndNote. Using Bookends 8 and later you can export data into EndNote XML format files that can be imported into an EndNote library using XML as the import option.

Please make sure to select the Import Option as “EndNote Generated XML" while importing the XML files. This should import the references properly in to EndNote.

The comments that are entered in Notes field in Bookends will get imported into the Notes field in EndNote. And any attachments in Bookends will be linked to the attachment section in EndNote.

However, the link for these attachments will remain to be the attachments folder of Bookends(which is absolute path for EndNote). Hence, if you are planning to move your EndNote library after creating one from Bookends, the attachments may not work on the other computer as the attachments are available only on this computer.

You will need to change the absolute paths to relative paths which will make sure that the attachments are moved into EndNote’s PDF folder(.data folder). In order to achieve this, once the importing is done, select all the references which are imported -> right click and select File Attachments and click on Convert to Relative Links.

You can now move this EndNote library to other computer with attachments using the compressed library feature.

Hey Leanne,

thank you very much for your input! I will give the trial a shot as the db crashes at 80%+ into my thesis really make me feel uncomfortable :-/

Thanks!

Leanne,

I have the same problem; only I am more inept than your questioner. I checked with the Bookends end and got this advise about exporting:

You can have Bookends output the unique id in a format, like RIS or EndNote Refer, that other apps can import. The symbol would be @. You’d provide a tag in front of it (see RIS format again). Then in EN you’d modify the RIS filter (if that’s what you use) to import that tag into, say, the Notes field. Use Biblio -> Bibliography Formatter to export your references, using that format (e.g. RIS) to disk as plain text.

I did this, but when in EndNote I selected to import the plain text file using a modified RIS filter nothing came into my EndNote database. Do you know possibly what I may have done wrong? Or could you walk me through the steps I should take on the EN side? Thanks.