Using Network Version but Getting Demo Error?

My company installed Reference Manager 11 on my computer when I started. However, there seems to have been some problem with the installation. We are using the network version, but it looks like it didn’t “take” somehow on my computer, and I have actually been using a demo mode.

Now I have surpassed the 20 times I’m allowed to open in demo mode, so I’m getting an error that I can no longer open my database. IT thinks they have properly installed the program now, but I still can’t open the database created in supposed “demo mode”. It looks like I am able to start a new database and add items to it, but I can’t open my existing database - every time I try to open it, it tells me I need to purchase the full version of Reference Manager.

I really don’t want to have to recreate the database I have. What is preventing me from opening the old database? Any way to fix it?

I did try to rebuild the database, using instructions posted here by JimmyM on 10-16-2008 01:15 PM, but it didn’t work. No errors were found during the rebuild.

Help please!!

Greetings Jennifer,  This particular problem is covered within an FAQ on our website here- http://refman.com/support/faqs/Install/faq6.asp. When installing the full version of Reference Manager, entries are made within the Windows Registry to tell the program to function as a full version, instead of a demo installation. If your Reference Manager installation continuously reverts to an expired demo installation, this behavior would indicate something is blocking Reference Manager’s attempts to write to your Windows Registry. Alternatively, it may mean a process is running after the program is installed that is removing the associated registry keys. When installing Reference Manager, be sure to close all other programs that may be running in the background at that time. Additionally, be sure to temporarily disable antvirus, and spyware blocking software, as these types of programs may block access to the Windows Registry. If this doesn’t resolve the issue, check to see if you have any programs that performs wipes of the Windows Registry. There is software that will attempt to remove unused entries within the Registry, but can sometimes remove keys that are associated to currently installed programs. 

Please let me know if this works for you.

Best Regards,

Jimmy M.

Customer Technical Support Representative Scientific
Thomson Reuters
Phone: +1 800 336 4474
ResearchSoft Product Support

thomsonreuters.com

Thanks for your reply! We have now gotten the program to work in regular mode (i.e., it no longer opens as a demo). But the database I had created while I was in this pseudo-demo mode will now not open. It looks like I am able to start a new database just fine, but I can’t open my existing one. Is there any way to fix this?

Greetings,

This problem may be coming up due to corruption within your Reference Manager database.  To begin troubleshooting this particular issue, I’d suggest rebuilding your database.  If you visit our website here- http://refman.com/support/faqs/Database/faq1.asp,  you’ll find steps that will walk you through the rebuild process.

Best Regards,

Jimmy M.

Customer Technical Support Representative Scientific
Thomson Reuters
Phone: +1 800 336 4474
ResearchSoft Product Support

thomsonreuters.com

Refman is still stuck in Expired Demo despite the presence of User Info. What are the specific Registry keys that need to be written&read ?

The developer should design refman to let you know when the writes to the registry fail and which keys have a problem. Silent failures are very frustrating.

Have you tried this – re-run the installer file and Repair or re-install over top of your “demo” installation. This seems to fix it for us. If this helps – I’ve only done registry edits for lingering un-installations, but the reg keys I know about for RefMan 11 are: 1. HKEY_Classes_Root → the isiinf file. 2. HKEY_Current User and HKEY_Local_Machine, Path to the Software directory → ISI ResearchSoft and Research Information Systems (not always present?) I don’t think this isn’t all of them. Note that the names relate to ISI Research, not necessarily RefMan or Thomson. Side note – Our IT department often installs software programs from a ghost image. This does not work with RefMan - we get the demo message and have to manually install or repair. So we just manually install for each new user and computer. More time consuming but works reliably.

My IT person was finally able to figure out this problem. Apparently it had to do with some incompatibility between (I think) the version of the program installed on the network and the “desktop” version installed on each computer. He said a new version of one had been released but it wasn’t compatible with the existing version of the other. Anyway, he has now fixed it. Nothing to do with registry keys - just required an update of one of the components. Perhaps try looking into this if nothing else is working for you. He said it took several calls to customer service before this issue came to light.