Why does EndNote change the capitilization of the author's name while importing RIS files?

Hi all,

When I import RIS files EndNote changes short names (aliases)  from e.g. PAP to Pap, KID to Kid and so when I import ris files. How do I turn it off?

Here is a simple example of such a ris file:

TY  - NEWS
AU  - KID                    
PY  - 2005
ER  -

Thanks.

Why would  you want author names to be capitalized? The Endnote RefMan import filter which is used to import RIS files does not permit changing the case setting for author names. However, the workaround is to modify the Author Name setting in the citations and/or bibliography section of your output style file* to change the format to “All Uppercase”.

*Go to the Endnote toolbar and select Edit > Output Styles > Edit [name of your output style file]. In the output style file’s dialog box click on Author Name and change the capitalization setting to “All Uppercase”. Close the output style and the changes will be saved to a new output style file with the word “Copy” added to the file name. Change the MS Word setting to use the new output style file.

I can see why you might want to keep “Abbreviations” all in caps.  I assume you are  using REFMAN (RIS) to import?  

It looks like the options on importing Author names is greyed out in the filters, so there isn’t an option - but it is greyed out on the “Do Not Lowercase” option. You might have to check with tech support on this request.  

You also might want to explore whether the Preferences “change case” options would work on Author names.  

Dear Leanne,

Yes, I do use RIS to import. What about other styles: bibtex, .enw and so on? Do they change the capitlization while improting too?

Thanks for your reply.

How many problems like this, do you encounter?  

P.S. I don’t really know how the other filters/connection files handle author names.  I don’t have any instances of those that I have had to deal with. 

I have about 150 ris files with capitalization.

@menteith wrote:

When I import RIS files EndNote changes short names (aliases)  from e.g. PAP to Pap, KID to Kid and so when I import ris files. How do I turn it off?

While Endnote’s Refman RIS import filter prevents author names from appearing in uppercase letters what you could do is after importing the references into your Endnote library use the Change/Move/Copy command* to change the contents in the Author field to uppercase.

*First select all of the references where the Author field is to be changed to uppercase. Then go to the Endnote toolbar and select Tools > Change/Move/Copy, click the “Change Fields” tab. Then click the pull down menu to select the Author field, click to select “Change Case”, and click the pull down menu to select 'UPPERCASE". Then click OK. (Refer to attached image.)
change case.gif