X3 as Portable App?

I recently purchased three copies of Endnote X3 through my university (upgrades). I’m moving to

ALL 64-bit and/or

Portable apps (the less registry dependence, the better).

Endnote x64 doesn’t seem around the corner so I’m working on the portable app solution:

I searched the Windows registry on my Vista x64 and there seemed to be only two minor “default file type” registry keys. With my other portable apps, I can manually set the portable version as a “default file type.”

I tried running Endnote from a USB drive (after copying the entire Program file for X3) and it worked fine.

May I assume that Endnote X3 is not really registry dependent and therefore I can uninstall from one computer and use that license key on my USB? (I’m turning a PC over to someone who doesn’t use Endnote and it would be a waste to let it stay on the PC. Meanwhile, I plan to buy a new PC).

Thanks!

Ummm…Cite while you write is entirely dependent upon registry entries, as are EndNote’s preferences & automatic downloading from major publisher sites. If it were a portable app wouldn’t I be able to use it on my iPhone, which I can’t!

I already checked preferences and I CAN change with the portable copy I created. When I get to work, I’ll try the Cite While Your Write on a computer that never had Endnote registry keys.(As an aside, I never use CWYW but I know other people do so I will check and report back).

As far as I can tell, the only thing that does not work is the update. However, Endnote so rarely updates that I could keep a desktop version on one PC for updates and then copy as a new, upgraded portable. 

The future is portable apps – even long-time holdouts like Roboform and Goodsync (two great programs) are responding to free programs by getting portable-innovative. 

I came accross this discussion because I would like to use Endnote on a lab computer that doesn’t have it installed. Did you ever figure out if CWYW works when X3 is used as a Portable App? Did you do anything besides just copy the Program Files folder over to your USB drive?

NO, I didn’t try. Why not give it a try and report back? I’m so washed up with biz I don’t have time now. Sorry.

Hi Jonbin,

I’ve been looking around for a way to do what you have done - making Endnote portable on a USB. I have tried copying the entire Endnote program like what you have done onto a USB drive. But it didn’t work :-(. What went wrong in my case? I am using X3. Did I miss anything (I copied everything under c:\program files\Endnote X3)?

Please help. Thanks.

Park

@fairviewpark wrote:

Hi Jonbin,

I’ve been looking around for a way to do what you have done - making Endnote portable on a USB. I have tried copying the entire Endnote program like what you have done onto a USB drive. But it didn’t work :-(. What went wrong in my case? I am using X3. Did I miss anything (I copied everything under c:\program files\Endnote X3)?

Please help. Thanks.

Park

Sorry, it should be Jonbean. And, my Endnote on the USB drive didn’t even start.

@astehn wrote:
I came accross this discussion because I would like to use Endnote on a lab computer that doesn’t have it installed. Did you ever figure out if CWYW works when X3 is used as a Portable App? Did you do anything besides just copy the Program Files folder over to your USB drive?

Hi astehn,

I want to do exactly what you need to do. But copying the entire Endnote X3 folder from my PC to the USB drive doesn’t help. When I tried to run Endnote, it gave an error message. What went wrong? Have you succeeded?

Thanks!

Park

The latest version of freedom app is good for an older version fast and bug-free click here.

The latest version of freedom app is good for an older version fast and bug-free

<a href=“https://freedomapk.mobi/”>Click here</a>