03-29-2011 03:27 PM - last edited on 09-21-2018 12:22 PM by Rick
Before installing any EndNote plug-ins, please read and understand the following instructions, notes, and disclaimers:
How to install EndNote plug-ins:
A user’s personal EndNote folder – for example C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\My Documents\EndNote\Plugins
The EndNote installation folder – for example C:\Program Files\EndNote X4\Plugins
The EndNote application support directory – for example C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\EndNote
A user’s personal EndNote folder – for example Macintosh HD > Users > Your User Name > Documents > EndNote > Plugins
The EndNote installation folder – for example Macintosh HD > Application > EndNote X4 > Plugins
The EndNote application support directory – for example Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > ResearchSoft > EndNote > Plugins.
Notes & Disclaimers:
- Any/all plug-ins posted to the EndNote forum are not Thomson Reuters official releases and may not be fully tested or error free. Please understand that these files are provided “as is” with no implied warranty. Install and use them with these warnings in mind. It is recommended that you back up any important EndNote-related work before installing plug-ins.
- These instructions apply to the sample plug-ins provided on this user forum. These may also apply to other, third-party plug-ins as well but they may not. The EndNote API allows for several different ways to create these EndNote extensions, some of which may not be designed to show up as menu items in the EndNote Tools menu.
- If you put a copy of the same plug-in in more than one of the above listed locations on a single computer, multiple instances of plug-in names may appear in the EndNote Tools menu. This is not recommended and not an officially supported scenario.
- The application support directory is a system-designated location and can vary based on operating system version and computer setup, so documentation for those systems should be consulted for a full understanding of these locations.
- In general, a user’s personal EndNote folder is the recommended and preferred installation location for plug-ins but the limitation is that this folder may not be accessible to all users logged into a given computer. To make plug-ins accessible to all users on a machine, the EndNote installation or application support locations might be better choices.
Technical Support Details: