A way to recreate my EndNote Web library?

Hello:

I have EndNote X7.02 (Build 7390) and recently added my library to EndNote Web. However, it wasn’t synching, so I deleted everything from the online library, thinking I could just bulk-reload it all over again.

I have since figured out, reading here, that I needed to enable synching within the desktop app (which I thought I had done, but apparently not). Now, when the synch happens, almost everything in my desktop library gets deleted.

Fortunately I have a backup of the desktop library so nothing is permanently lost. However, is there a way to reset my account so I can rebuild the online library?

Thanks - Daniel

Hello,

Please follow the instructions below to reset sync.

1.       Disable automatic syncing in EndNote preferences, and restart EndNote.
2.       Delete all references and all groups from EndNote Web, with the exception of Shared Groups and ResearcherID Groups.
3.       Empty the Trash both in the web application AND in EndNote desktop.
4.       In EndNote desktop,  add this to the end of your E-Mail Address in the Sync preferences: #!resetLocalSync
  Note that this is case sensitive – #!resetLocalSync NOT #!resetlocalsync. For example, if the email address was john.smith@thomsonreuters.com, you would change this to   john.smith@thomsonreuters.com#!resetLocalSync
5.       Click Sync.
6.       EndNote will then appear to authenticate and return the prompt: “A Sync library can be linked to only one account. Do not proceed unless you intend to break the link to the original account.” This   happens because we tricked EndNote into thinking it authenticated against another user. Click OK,  and EndNote will purge any knowledge of a previous sync.
7.       EndNote will then display a message, “Your local sync state has been reset. Please re-enter your E-Mail Address, restart EndNote, and Sync again.”
8.       Restart EndNote.
9.     Open the Sync Preferences, enter the correct username/password in and setup the automatic sync settings. Continuing with the example used above,  re-enter john.smith@thomsonreuters.com as your email address in the Preferences.
10.    When you next click Sync, you will once more get “A Sync library can be linked to only one account. Do not proceed unless you intend to break the link to the original account.” Click OK.
11.    You will be prompted to make a backup, which is recommended.
12.    A complete sync will then begin.

I hope this helps you out!

Brilliant, thanks!

I have tried this fix, using Mac OS 10.10 (“Yosemite”) and Endnote X7 (Bld 9970) but it does not seem to work.  I don’t see the prompts your instructions show. The program says it is “Authorizing” but does nothing else. No errors, but no sync either.

Thanks in advance.

I followed the instructions up to step 4.

1. is click Sync - Is this ‘enable Sync’?  When I click on this it appears to authorise, clears the additional text after my email address but doesn’t bring up the prompt about only being able to sync to one library. So it doesn’t work and I am left with the wrong library in the ‘Sync this Endnote library’ field.

What is the solution?

We have only just moved to X7.2 and I expect a lot of our users will want to use the share library facillity.  Undoubtedly at some point they will want to sync and share a different library.  It is ridiculous that there seems to be no easy way to do this.

I agree that it is ridiculous that there is no easy way to change synced libraries!

I basically had the same thing happen to me as first in thread, in trying to reset synced library I instead deleted most of my desktop library. Forced to go back to last backup only costs me a couple hours of work, but unbelievable to me that it is supposed to work this way.

So I can only sync to a single library? Have to essentially reset the endnote online system to change libraries? This seriously limits the functionality of online library (I would say online libraries, but that is pural and apparently not allowed).

I have done as instructed up to Step 5 but Step 6 does not happen.  It just says “Authorizing” and does nothing, as it has done before.

You don’t get the “are you sure” prompt?  Did you try to go to the next step?  

and step one should be make a backup of your desktop library!  (THESE MAYBE OLD INSTRUCTIONS AND NO LONGER WORK THIS WAY, July 2017)

see here for slightly more detailed instructions (near bottom of page) 

http://libguides.utoledo.edu/endnote/questions 

(copying info from U Toledo’s web page here) 

EndNote Online Problems

Problem: I cannot enter a library in EndNote X7’s preferences for the purpose of sharing with a group.

Fix: Syncing between your EndNote Desktop and EndNote Online needs to be reset.   Make a backup copy of your library before proceeding with the reset process. You may see the following Knowledge Base article for instructions:http://endnote.com/kb/82295

Next, delete all the references and groups from your EndNote online account. See the below links for instructions:

Now do the following:

1. In EndNote X7, click on the Edit menu and select Preferences. Uncheck “Sync Automatically”. Restart EndNote.
  2. Empty the trash on both your desktop library and online library.
  3. Go to Edit > Preferences , click on Sync and add the following to your E-mail address under EndNote Web Account Credentials: #!resetLocalSync
    This should then read as: firstname.lastname@utoledo.edu#!resetLocalSync. Click Save and close the Preferences screen.
  4. Click on the Tools menu and select Sync.
  5. EndNote will then appear to authenticate and return the prompt: “A Sync library can be linked to only one account. Do not proceed unless you intend to break the link to the original account.” This happens because EndNote has been tricked into thinking it authenticated against another user. Click OK , and EndNote will purge any knowledge of a previous sync.
  6. EndNote will then display a message, “Your local sync state has been reset. Please re-enter your E-Mail Address, restart EndNote, and Sync again.”
  7. Restart EndNote and open the copy of your library that has the full set of references.
  8. Go back to EndNote > Preferences and go to Sync.
  9. Enter the correct user/pass in and set up the automatic sync settings to meet your needs. The E-mail address should be reset back to: firstname.lastname@utoledo.edu
  10. Save and Close the Preferences.
  11. When you click Sync again, you will once more get the message “A Sync library can be linked to only one account. Do not proceed unless you    intend to break the link to the original account.” Click OK.
  12. You will be prompted to make a backup of your library. You can create another backup of your library at this point. A complete Sync will then begin.  

Hi there, I got the same problem as everyone, there is no prompt at all.

Actually the suffix is kept now by endnote as part of my stable emailadress.

Sorry to spam. No I tried to sync on my laptop, because the whole point was having my library synced on TWO devices…well, all it did was deleting all my references there.  I made a copy …all my groups are ***edit***ed up now, but ok. References are still there. So what I have now, are 3 copies of the library, how do I merge them back now??

I cant get them online, I tried several times, it keeps deleting everything as I deleted everything in my online account.

I just reinstalled endnote on my computer but the wrong folder location where it should NOT sync to, is still there?? what the hell?

I recommend you wait until monday and call Tech support, since you are not seeing what I see, when I tried the below (albeit quite a while ago now).  Since syncing works two-way, you can’t delete things in one space and not expect to see them deleted in the other.  resetting the location of the desktop location is a registry setting.  

you might try listening to this.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzgoRaXFFPk

@marishki wrote:

Actually the suffix is kept now by endnote as part of my stable emailadress.

then you need to repeat again without the suffix

In step 6 i get a : Unable to link to new account. Reopen the data base and try again…

Every time I try…

Ok, so it is two months later, might I be so bold as to ask if there is any solution for mac users yet?

Following the “#!ResetLocalSync” addition to the email address, the sync still only throws a 2 second “Authorizing” message and does nothing else. Endnote on Windows does complete the process allright, but then again, I never had problems with assynchrone local library on my windows systems in first place.

mac OS X 10.11.6, , endnote X7.7 (Build 11722)

Sorry.  I don’t know.  I don’t use a Mac.  I recommend that everyone contact Tech support and not the forum for issues relating to syncing.  

• Make a backup of your EndNote library (or just copy the My EndNote Library.Data and My EndNote Library.enl) files somewhere else so you can use it to restore your library later.

• Open EndNote>Preferences>Sync and turn off automatic sync

• Quit EndNote

• Go to Users/[username]/Library/Preferences and find com.ThomsonResearchSoft.EndNote.plist

• Open the file in any text editor and scan through the mess for the “wrong” directory of your libary, replace it with the correct path, save the file, exit editor.

• Open Endnote>Preferences>Sync and turn on automatic sync, and use your account credentials

• Close Preferences, then go to Tools>Sync

• EndNote will now try to sync with the online account, you might lose a lot of references in this step, don’t panic.

• After EndNote finishes it’s long sync (retrieving references, sending updates bla bla), go to File>Open library and browse to the My EndNote Library.enl library that you saved at the first step.

• When it opens, select all the references, right click>copy references to and this time select your original library.

• After everyhting is copied, you might need to get rid of duplicates and sync the libary (maybe automatically) again.

• Make a backup of your EndNote library (or just copy the My EndNote Library.Data and My EndNote Library.enl) files somewhere else so you can use it to restore your library later.

• Open EndNote>Preferences>Sync and turn off automatic sync

• Quit EndNote

• Go to Users/[username]/Library/Preferences and find com.ThomsonResearchSoft.EndNote.plist

• Open the file in any text editor and scan through the mess for the “wrong” directory of your libary, replace it with the correct path, save the file, exit editor.

• Open Endnote>Preferences>Sync and turn on automatic sync, and use your account credentials

• Close Preferences, then go to Tools>Sync

• EndNote will now try to sync with the online account, you might lose a lot of references in this step, don’t panic.

• After EndNote finishes it’s long sync (retrieving references, sending updates bla bla), go to File>Open library and browse to the My EndNote Library.enl library that you saved at the first step.

• When it opens, select all the references, right click>copy references to and this time select your original library.

• After everyhting is copied, you might need to get rid of duplicates and sync the libary (maybe automatically) again.

Hi,

I went to ‘go to folder’ and typed in ‘Users/[username]/Library/Preferences’ (I obviously changed ‘username’ to my name) but it returned saying there is no such folder.

This is such a pain, all I need to do it change the path for my library so it will sync.

What can I do?