Abbreviations in in-text references and a General Question on abbreviations

Hi All,

A similar question has been asked about 10 years ago, but one of the answers pointed to a file that’s not available anymore and I’m hoping there have been some developments/changes.

I use organisational/corporate authors quite a few times, but these names can be quite long e.g. “Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations”(Abbreviation FAO) and “World Organisation for Animal Health” (Abbreviation OIE). I need to use Harvard-Flinders style for the University of Sydney (Endnote Template harvard_usyd).

While I still do want the full name to appear in my references/bibliography, I’d like the in-text references to read “FAO, 2019” or “OIE, 2020”.

Someone mentioned earlier that this can be done by going to each individual reference, editing, and choosing this hide the author and adding a suffix (e.g. FAO) instead.

My question is: Is there an easier way to do this rather than doing it one-by-one?

And another general question on the use of abbreviations - if I have an abbreviation list at the beginning of my dissertation, is it still necessary to spell out each abbreviation in the text (e.g. the first time I mention OIE, I should have the full name spelt out and then the abbreviation in brackets)?

Thank you!

There is still no easier way to use the abbreviation in citations (hide author, type in your abbreviation), and the full name in the bibliography, unless you create a new bibliography template and put the abbreviation in the author field and use another field for the full organization name and use that field in the bibliography template instead of author field.  You would copy the equivalent ref type template to a newly added custome ref type template – and then change the Author to the new field.  

A manual for endnote for win or mac are available here

Page 11 and 35 (in the windows version) give info on adding or editing a ref type, and then how to create the bibliography template for the new ref type in your output style.  

(added in edit) on your question about abbreviations: Yes, you should still define the abbreviation when first used in your thesis even though there is an abbreviations table.