Apple Pages Plug in on Mac M1 version 20.1 Broken: No open EndNote libraries were found.

After installing the latest update, version 20.1 which now has M1 compatibility, it appears that the Pages plug-in is not working.  The Word plugin works, but this isn’t where I do all of my work.

Upon trying to insert a reference, the following error happens when you search:

No open EndNote libraries were found.

To insert a citation, you must have a library containing citations open in EndNote.

I’m guessing that Apple might have to update it.  Buy anyone else know a workaround? 

Small update - it doesn’t fix the issue per say, but is a great workaround! 

Similar to what was posted about running Word in Rosetta - you can actually run EndNote the application in Rosetta (vs. Apple Silicon) mode and it will actually work now with Pages.  

Use these instructions:

www.howtogeek.com/702982/how-to-launch-the-intel-version-of-a-universal-mac-app-on-apple-silicon
1 Like

This doesn’t fix the issue at all.

The bigger question, is why is EndNote so consistently and so continously s***e? It is the best part of a decade now since Endnote crumbled with the new version of Apple Pages. It still hasn’t caught up. I’m still amazed that for some bizarre reason italics don’t appear in a bibliography if the book or journal title is longer than a certain number of characters. Ten years this has been going on. I’ve thrown £500 or so at Endnote for the past 15 years. Unfortunately I have no choice but pay to use this beta level software and that has been the case for a very long time with regard to Apple; first with the Pages 9.3 > 6 nonsense, and more recently, the 64 bit stuff. When you have 4000+ references and are in at the end of finishing a book, and the latest update breaks things, or it takes 2 or 3 years to update things so they work without you having to fiddle things (literally: had to duplicate 32 bit version of Endnote 19 in order to get it to work on 64 bit version because the ‘update’ was still 32 bit…] . ***edit*** you Clarivate. It’s a bit like a bank losing your money. You are a bunch of numpties and the sooner I can be rid of you the better. Problem is: you’re the best. Even with your PDF’s and social media nonsense. 

Just to reply to my own message: 20 works. 20.1 breaks everything with regard to Apple pages.

Still we have: italics issue in footnote and bibliography (ongoing for a decade)

Still we have: automatic default to Helvetica typeface when inserting a foornote (changeable by highlightin all references and change typeface)

Still we have: copy a reference and style system changes entirely.

These are ongoing issues that are not recent, but have been around since 2013/14. It really is that bad: if anyone is reading this and considering adopting a system, I strongly suggest you avoid EndNote and look elsewhere until the software is owned by a company willing to invest in its future and not roll out an 18/19/20/21/22 version with absolutely minimal improvements - and no resolution to the problems ongoing for a decade.

Hello Pages Users,

First, we apologize for all of the current issues with the Pages plugin for EndNote.

Part of the issue with the Pages tools for EndNote updates is that the tool is developed by the Apple Pages team, and not the EndNote team. Because they rather infrequently update those tools, the compatibility can sometimes lag. And, while we do collect these issue reports, and send them to Pages, you can also provide them directly with feedback as well, here:
https://www.apple.com/feedback/pages.html

Hopefully at some point in the future, a new version of these tools will become available. When that does happen, you should be able to get that updated plugin from the Apple site, here:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204395

But for the time being, I would encourage reaching out to the Pages team via their feedback form to report these issue. Sorry for any inconvenience they may be causing.

Thanks for listening!
Steve

I also have waisted some hours to get it up and running with pages, but the suggested workaround by @broepke is working. 

Have a try:

1. Finder > Applications > EndNote 20

2. Inside the “Endnote 20” folder, select the “EndNote 20” application

3. Get info (Finder > File > Get Info)

4. Check the option “Open using Rosetta”

5. Restart EndNote

I also have waisted some hours to get it up and running with pages, but the suggested workaround by @broepke is working. 

Have a try:

1. Finder > Applications > EndNote 20

2. Inside the “Endnote 20” folder, select the “EndNote 20” application

3. Get info (Finder > File > Get Info)

4. Check the option “Open using Rosetta”

5. Restart EndNote

Check the attachment below for better understanding.