Attention Mac users: X7 PDF viewer and Sierra

Dear Meredith,

Using Endnote X7.6 and X7.7 and El Capitan, I have been experiencing persistent display issues with the PDF viewer.  Usually, a portion of the top of the second page of the PDF does not render properly and simply appears blank.  Are you aware of this issue?   Is there a fix?  Has this problem been resolved with Sierra?

Cecil Hahn.

1 Like

Is there any news on this yet?

1 Like

crickets. 

1 Like

I upgraded to Mac OS Sierra and every thing just got broken down. I took my Mac to technology center and they reinstalled the OS. Now after I have installed EN application, its taking hours and hours to retrieve data.
The problem is: I live on campus. I use campus network system because I am not allowed to buy private internet link. Campus network does not allow downgrading to El Capitan and if I do so, my machine will be blocked. I am writing PhD dissertation and every single minute of my life is so so so important to finish my work as soon as possible. Your imprudence is costing me invaluable time that you can never even imagine of it. My all work is lying apart and I can do nothing. Would you please, for God sake, respond???

1 Like

sameelashari,

I suggest that you contact TR Support staff directly at http://endnote.com/support rather than waiting for a response on this forum. Forum assistance generally comes from other users sharing their experience(s), rather than TR technical support staff.

I experimented with macOS Sierra, EN X7.7 and the latest update for MS Word 2016 on a second computer and the only issue I encountered was with the internal PDF viewer and existing annotations, i.e. missing thumbnails images & alignment of highlighted text. The highlighted text didn’t correspond to the original annotation added under OSX El Capitan. I had no problems accessing data stored in an EN library and basic CWYW functions appear to work okay. But I’m not trying to write a dissertation with 100s of references.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

There’s another thread on this same subject that you can read through here, if you’d like: http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/EndNote-7-7-and-MacOS-Sierra/td-p/131332

To summarize:

1. The issues with X7.7 and macOS Sierra are as originally reported, meaning no new issues have come up since the release. Those are:
  • Thumbnail view of PDFs missing 

• Text selection misalignment when annotating

• Volume installer issues for multi-user and site licenses (more info here http://endnote.com/kb/140624)

Regarding the PDF issues (thumbnail view missing and text selection for annotating), these have been reported by the EndNote development team to Apple. These same issues can be found in other Mac applications with similar PDF capabilities.  These will absolutely be fixed by the EndNote team for X8, but it is possible that Apple will release an update to Sierra that will include fixes for these issues , thus improving the PDF experience for X7 users without a release from EndNote. 

2) There are no known issues with X7.7, Cite While You Write and macOS Sierra at this time.

If the tools are not appearing as an X7 tab in MS Word, after installing X7.7, I’d recommend to go through Customizer again (EndNote menu → Customizer) and reinstall the CWYW tools.

More info here: http://endnote.com/kb/138936 

If that doesn’t work, please call our Support team (http://endnote.com/support) to have them weigh in. 

1. Slightly unrelated, but just in case, anyone who purchased X7 on or after September 1, 2016 will get a free upgrade to X8. X7 users who purchased before that time can upgrade to X8 at a reduced price. 

More info here: http://endnote.com/buy/X8

Lastly, if you are experiencing any other issues, please contact our Support team and they will gladly help you get back to work.

Thank you everyone!

Meredith M. 

1 Like

I hope something will be done.  I assumed Endnote would promise users the problem with Sierra would be fixed for x7 users rather than telling us indirectly that we will need to upgrade to x8.  I was quite distressed to see the statement below: 

“We are not currently planning a fix to EndNote X7, but will continue to work with Apple to resolve these issues for X8. EndNote X8 should be fully macOS Sierra compatible”.  

Why should I have to put out another $100 for an upgrade?  Your product is expensive enough now.

2 Likes

Thanks, @MeredithM, but I’m very disappointed that Thomson Reuters is not working on a fix to support their existing X7.7 customer base, a version that they just released on August 31. They are also not offering a deeper discount to users whose products will now be forced into obsolescence. The preorder price currently on the TR website is $99, with the academic upgrade “discount” listed at authorized retailer onthehub.com at $108!.

As others have pointed out on this thread and elsewhere, TR and other developers have had access to the beta MacOS 10.12 since June, so it is upsetting that they have not found a fix for the problems. I hope that my fellow users will express their displeasure so perhaps TR will change course.

Thanks, @meredithm, but I’m very disappointed that Thomson Reuters is not working on a fix to support their existing X7.7 customer base, a version that they just released on August 31. They are also not offering a deeper discount to users whose products will now be forced into obsolescence. The preorder price currently on the TR website is $99, with the academic upgrade “discount” listed at authorized retailer onthehub.com at $108!.

As others have pointed out on this thread and elsewhere, TR and other developers have had access to the beta MacOS 10.12 since June, so it is upsetting that they have not found a fix for the problems. I hope that my fellow users will express their displeasure so perhaps TR will change course.

1 Like

This is absurd. X7 was never actually compatible with Yosemite or El Capitan. And now it’s obviously not compatible with Sierra.

And they’re asking us to pay $100 for an “upgrade” when they have yet to release a stable, working version of X7?

We’re all suckers.

Hi @abington ,

@abington wrote:

This is absurd. X7 was never actually compatible with Yosemite or El Capitan. And now it’s obviously not compatible with Sierra.

And they’re asking us to pay $100 for an “upgrade” when they have yet to release a stable, working version of X7?

We’re all suckers.

I’m sorry if there is some confusion here. This statement is not true.

X7 is stable and working on macOS Sierra.

When Apple released Sierra, they introduced bugs to their PDFKit tool, which is what EndNote’s built in PDF viewer relies on. These bugs have caused the thumbnail view to be missing and the selection and highlighting of PDF text to be misaligned (meaning the text that is highlighted is slightly removed from where your cursor is). We have reported these as bugs to Apple. There are no other issues in the X7 software on Sierra. 

Thanks,
Meredith M. 

Thanks @MeredithM for respond. 

I just do not understand how you can work on a solution for X8 at TR, but all the owners and buyers of X7 have just to hope Apple might solve the problem…

Your own solution should be worth for all the versions on sierra!

Except you just want to your users to pay twice a year for the very same product!?  

NieChe

I totally agree. I do not feel valued as a customer.

I have filed a complaint with the FTC consumer protection division and encourage all others affected to do the same. A company cannot sell something and then refuse to support it.

So, the problem still? I haven’t upload Sierra because I NEED to use EndNote every single day!!! … I’m seriusly thinking in change to Medelay, at least it’s free! …  

I would second this. Endnote without a fully functioning pdf annotation is useless. I find it unacceptable that TR does make sure that their product supports the latest macOS. Asking people to pay for a new version of Endnote to have a core functionality that most of us payed 80£+ for only months ago is not acceptable.    

Hello Meredith,

I waited a long time before upgrading to Sierra. 

Now I have no problems with Macs own pdf viewer but still problems with EndNotes built in pdf viewer.

You say X7 is stable and working. 

No it is not! It is not working because I cannot see the highlighted search results. So I have to read the hole pdf. That means there is no search possible. 

All my former highlights and comments on pdf are shifted absurdly so they are useless. 

Again: No X7 does not work. Macs pdf viewer does work. Search and highlighting is possible. Do you still do not care about your loyal customers who bought X7 in 2016 and you wanted to force them to buy a full prized product with very tiny changes in 2016 again? 

Maybe you should not close the discussion as long as there are no solutions for the complaints.

Screenshot.png

Hello EndNote users,

I got a new iMac and installed everything and then upgrade to Sierra too expecting some improvement after recent comments saying that is ok since X7.7. But no, so now I have the same problem as you guys.

I read all the previous comments, and yes, even in 2017 (April), we still facing the same problem with highlights and unstable use of the tool with X7. 

I’m extremely disapointed with TR EndNote and after searching for a solution without having to expend more money that I’ve already have expended I decided to export my references and move to Mendeley or other tool that works. In this year I will have to write my PhD dissertation and I don’t want to get stressed for something that should be fixed.

So, good luck guys. 

Hello EndNote users,

I got a new iMac and installed everything and then upgrade to Sierra too expecting some improvement after recent comments saying that is ok since X7.7. But no, so now I have the same problem as you guys.

I read all the previous comments, and yes, even in 2017 (April), we still facing the same problem with highlights and unstable use of the tool with X7. 

I’m extremely disapointed with TR EndNote and after searching for a solution without having to expend more money that I’ve already have expended I decided to export my references and move to Mendeley or other tool that works. In this year I will have to write my PhD dissertation and I don’t want to get stressed for something that should be fixed.

So, good luck guys. 

This is disgraceful.

EndNote are simply blaming Apple, and Apple appear not the least interested in fixing the problem.

Other software developers who are experiencing similar issues (I believe it’s a problem with PDFKit) are finding workarounds and pushing out updates to customers, rather than telling them not to upgrade to the latest OS (really? that’s like telling Windows customers not to upgrade to Windows 10 because it will break your software).