Attention Microsoft Word 2016 Mac version 16.xx Users!

I have recevied the same message for CWYW, I have shutdown and rebooted the computer, I have uninstalled word and reinstalled it and still recevie the same error . 

Would appreciate technical assistance to advise how to correct this I am using macOS High Serria 10.13.2 Word for Mac 16.9

Go into Endnote, click on the endnote X8 and then click on customizer and follow the instructions, you should get the tab in word then. 

I have just upgraded to 8.2 and word crashes everytime I try to add a reference in the text.

Just did it. No success… It ran something but my output styles are still missing.

After the update to Endnote X 8, 18.2.0.13302 The Endnote Tab doesn´t show up in Word 16.9. So your “Update” did´nt actually fix anything, it just got rid of the error message…

U. Gaden.

I followed advice from another thread to delete mendley plugin for word and the system is working for me now with a problem

1 Like

What a pain!

I’ve isolated a few things:

• If you update to the latest version of endnote on Word 15.41, everything works

• If you then update to 16.9, it will stop working. The reason for this is that on 15.41, the bundle used was called  “EndNote CWYW Word 2016.bundle” (even with the latest Endnote update). However, if you install after you already have 16.9, the plugin is called "EndNote CWYW Word 16.bundle”.

• Solution in a non-managed environment: reinstall the addins from the latest endnote (or copy EndNote CWYW Word 16.bundle from /Applications/EndNote X8/Cite While You Write/ and drop it in /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Startup.localized/Word/)

HOWEVER! this only works with English Office (afaik). IT DOES NOT WORK with for example Swedish system language set.

1 Like

The EndNote X8.2 Mac Cite While You Write tools will load in Word 2016 version 16.9 while the primary system language is set to something other than English. However, our testing has revealed that Word 2016 will not load our add-in if the system language is set to Swedish, Turkish, Indonesian and Danish. We have brought this to the attention of Microsoft for them to investigate the cause.

this worked for me!

this worked for me - thank you

Hi,

I have upgraded to X8.2 (13302) and I then upgraded word for mac 16.9 (180116)

The CWYW tab does not appear in the toolbar.

I went to tools/templates and addins and the endnote cwyw is listed but greyed out. I then selected its check box and ok’d it.

It still does not appear and if word is restarted it is now deselected again in templates and addins.

The location given in templates and addins  for the file for endnote is OK and it contains the file EndNote CWYW Word 2016.bundle.

Can you tell me why this is not working please and how to fix it

Thanks

The EndNote X8.2 Mac Cite While You Write tools will load in Word 2016 version 16.9 while the primary system language is set to something other than English. However, our testing has revealed that Word 2016 will not load our add-in if the system language is set to Swedish, Turkish, Indonesian and Danish. We have brought this to the attention of Microsoft for them to investigate the cause.

How do you set this up?

Thanks

Dear all,

I think this message from Jason is a little misleading. It implies that Endnote has taken just a couple of weeks to respond to the latest release of Word. In reality, Endnote has not been compatible with World since 16.8, and thus has been out of action for many since late November 2017. I appreciate the Beta version that became available at some point in the meantime and thus allowed many of us to get by, but the fact is that a stable updated version has taken almost two months to appear. This is not the first time that Endnote seems to have been surprised by a new release, and has left users suddenly without functioning software for a few weeks. It would be great if it were possible for Thomson Reuters to work more closely with MIcrosoft and anticipate changes. Although I use various independent addon packages for various bits of software, I don’t have any other software that gets caught on the hoof like Endnote does.

Mark Roseman

1 Like

Hi Everyone, 

I have had the same issue as described in this thread. 

I was able to get Endnote X8.2 to work as normal with Office 16.9 (Mac) by removing the citation plugin for Mendeley. 

I guess there is some conflict between the update for Mendeley which was release to work with Office 16.8, and the Endnote update. Removing the plugin has been a fine fix for me, as I only really use Mendeley to organise my papers.

Hopefully this will help other with the same software configurations. 

1 Like

Thank you JayHob, removing the Mendeley plugin worked for me as well.

Hello Mark Roseman,

Microsoft did not release version 16.xx to the production track until January 18th:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/update-history-for-office-2016-for-mac-700cab62-0d67-4f23-947b-3686cb1a8eb7#bkmk_history

Previously, the production release was version 15.xx. At that time, the version 16.xx releases were a part of the Office Insider Program, which is essentially a beta release from Microsoft:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/what-is-office-insider-f4208185-b63a-4b68-9c7a-9a32d2411c16

We released our Beta for compatibility with the Office Insider version of Word in October of 2017:

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/Sign-up-to-test-the-Beta-software-for-EndNote-X8-CWYW-for-Word/td-p/136287

We (Clarivate Analytics) worked with Microsoft to release this Beta for the EndNote X8.2 Mac tools in Word 2016 version 16.xx. We were in no way “surprised” by this release. When Microsoft released version 16.xx to the production track of Word, we needed a few business days to test against the public production release before we released our compatible update for X8 on January 24th.

After installing Word 16.9 and then installing Endnote X8.2, Word will crash each time I open a document. If I remove the Endnote add-ins then Word operates normally once again. I am using the latest version of Mac OS 10.13.3. Any ideas of things to try?

Todd

Any news on an Endnote 7 fix? Or do I just own a permanetly broken product now?

Hi Jason!

Thanks for the reply. In the meantime, we will hold off releasing Office 16.9 to our users. The latest Endnote still seems to work properly with Word 16.9 (Swedish system language).

I’ll remember to specify language in any future reports…

//Martin

I updated to X2 and it worked fine… until Microsoft updated Word again, to 16.9.1, after which it again doesn’t work. Is there another update coming up?