Attention Microsoft Word 2016 Mac version 16.xx Users!

Dear all,

I think this message from Jason is a little misleading. It implies that Endnote has taken just a couple of weeks to respond to the latest release of Word. In reality, Endnote has not been compatible with World since 16.8, and thus has been out of action for many since late November 2017. I appreciate the Beta version that became available at some point in the meantime and thus allowed many of us to get by, but the fact is that a stable updated version has taken almost two months to appear. This is not the first time that Endnote seems to have been surprised by a new release, and has left users suddenly without functioning software for a few weeks. It would be great if it were possible for Thomson Reuters to work more closely with MIcrosoft and anticipate changes. Although I use various independent addon packages for various bits of software, I don’t have any other software that gets caught on the hoof like Endnote does.

Mark Roseman

1 Like

Hi Everyone, 

I have had the same issue as described in this thread. 

I was able to get Endnote X8.2 to work as normal with Office 16.9 (Mac) by removing the citation plugin for Mendeley. 

I guess there is some conflict between the update for Mendeley which was release to work with Office 16.8, and the Endnote update. Removing the plugin has been a fine fix for me, as I only really use Mendeley to organise my papers.

Hopefully this will help other with the same software configurations. 

1 Like

Thank you JayHob, removing the Mendeley plugin worked for me as well.

Hello Mark Roseman,

Microsoft did not release version 16.xx to the production track until January 18th:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/update-history-for-office-2016-for-mac-700cab62-0d67-4f23-947b-3686cb1a8eb7#bkmk_history

Previously, the production release was version 15.xx. At that time, the version 16.xx releases were a part of the Office Insider Program, which is essentially a beta release from Microsoft:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/what-is-office-insider-f4208185-b63a-4b68-9c7a-9a32d2411c16

We released our Beta for compatibility with the Office Insider version of Word in October of 2017:

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/Sign-up-to-test-the-Beta-software-for-EndNote-X8-CWYW-for-Word/td-p/136287

We (Clarivate Analytics) worked with Microsoft to release this Beta for the EndNote X8.2 Mac tools in Word 2016 version 16.xx. We were in no way “surprised” by this release. When Microsoft released version 16.xx to the production track of Word, we needed a few business days to test against the public production release before we released our compatible update for X8 on January 24th.

After installing Word 16.9 and then installing Endnote X8.2, Word will crash each time I open a document. If I remove the Endnote add-ins then Word operates normally once again. I am using the latest version of Mac OS 10.13.3. Any ideas of things to try?

Todd

Any news on an Endnote 7 fix? Or do I just own a permanetly broken product now?

Hi Jason!

Thanks for the reply. In the meantime, we will hold off releasing Office 16.9 to our users. The latest Endnote still seems to work properly with Word 16.9 (Swedish system language).

I’ll remember to specify language in any future reports…

//Martin

I updated to X2 and it worked fine… until Microsoft updated Word again, to 16.9.1, after which it again doesn’t work. Is there another update coming up? 

I updated to X2 and it worked just fine, until Microsoft released another update, to 16.9.1, after which I again get the message that the plugin is not compatible. And update coming up to fix this? 

Well, according to tech support: There are no plans to announce any future fix for Endnote 7 users.  The permanent answer is a program that can keep up with Microsoft.  It isn’t Endnote

I am having exactly the same problem - very frustrating 

I am having exactly this same problem with Word 16.9.1 and the latest Endnote 8.2 - very frustrating this still does not work

I am having exactly this same problem with Word 16.9.1 and the latest Endnote 8.2 - very frustrating this still does not work

The Endnote tab has dissapeared from Word and nothing seems to fix this 

I’d appreciate any help –

I get a COM error message every time I try to:

– update citations and bibliiography

– convert to plain text

I was working on the same document previously using the older version of  Word with E7 until the COM errors occurred and so updated both to no avail –

I’m now running Word for Mac 16.9.1 (180125) and Endnote X8.2 (13302).

Also, some citations hyperlink to the bibliography (clicking on them takes me to the bibliography) and some don’t.

When I start a new blank Word document, type some dummy text and insert E8 references, it seems to work fine.

If there is no solution, I think I’ll need to remove all references from this old document and start reinserting all the references with Endnote or some other reference software, but I can’t convert this document to plain text so I think I’m stuck.

Any advice? Thanks.

I am now managing to get the CWYW tab to appear if I set the computer language to English. But not when it is set to Swedish, which I prefer. Any updates on this??

1 Like

UPDATE - help please!

I copy pasted the old document into a new one (without formatting) and was reinserting the references with E8 manually…

All looked good until a few dozen references in - the Word crashed, now keeps crasing at each startup, rebooted computer, same thing.

What are my solutions?

Reinstall Word?

Word for Mac 16.9.1 (180125) and Endnote X8.2 (13302).

Same problem here. Just updated to Word 16.10 (180204) whereafter the Endnote 8.2 (13302) CWYW dissapeared from Word. Tried reinstalling Endnote but it didn’t help. Hope Clarviate fixes this problem very soon as it has been a nightmare since the release of Word 16.9.

Hans

I like many others have a problem with Word 16.9.1 and the latest Endnote 8.2 - very frustrating this still does not work

The Endnote tab has dissapeared from Word and nothing seems to fix this. This is expensive software that is not working and the lack of a working solution is simply not acceptable. This product is simply no longer compatable with word 

Thanks Krampuss

This solution worked for me, although still only with language set in English. @Jason: Look forward to be able to use Danish language settings in the near future again.

Actually I had already a version of EndNote CWYW Word 16.bundle placed in /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Startup.localized/Word/ 

Nevertheless I replaced it with the a new copy of EndNote CWYW Word 16.bundle copied from /Applications/EndNote X8/Cite While You Write/ which now seems to work.

Hi,  I upgraded to Mac Endnote 8.2 before doing the Office upgrade and have subsequently lost the endnote plugin after word updated.  Could you please advise on how to re-install the plugin.  I have tried to add it back to the Word Global Templates and Addins but this does not seem to make any difference.  Thank-you.