Attention Microsoft Word 2016 Mac version 16.xx Users!

PS: mac word 16.9 + EndNote X.2 used to work for about 2-3 weeks until yesterday!

Hello Markus,

Your issue may be due to a third party add-in. Please have a look at this article:

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/article/EndNote-Cannot-edit-Range

I got the same problem with EndNote x8.2as Markus after upgrading Word for Mac 16.10 yesterday: Word keeps crashing constantly when updating bibliography in Word documents with EndNote citations. This problem appeared immediately after the Word update. I checked and this is not because of a third-party add-in. Please check and fix EndNote x8.2 compatibility with Word for Mac 16.10.

Updated to Mac word 16.10 today and all Endnote (8.2) tab and function loss please advise 

I would recommend testing with a new blank document. If the issue is document specific, please have a look at this article:

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/article/EndNote-Mac-COM-exception-error

Thanks Jason, that was it! EndNote - Word works fine again after removal of the Mendeley plugin. However a bit sad, because some collaborators use this, others that…

Thanks for your help, Markus

I had to uninstall Endnote - then resinstall to get it to work for me 

There may be a problem with permissions, since EndNote CWYW Word 16.bundle in

/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Startup.localized/Word

had initially 0 bytes (when it is 13.1 Mb)

What  worked for me:

1. Close EndNote and Word

2. Go to /Applications/EndNote X8/Cite While You Write and copy  EndNote CWYW Word 16.bundle

3. Go to  /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Startup.localized/Word and delete any previous copy of CWYW. Then, paste EndNote CWYW Word 16.bundle. You will be asked for your password (it may be the admin password). Afterwards, you see that EndNote CWYW Word 16.bundle has 13.1 Mb as expected

4. Start word and EndNote

Solved it similarly also

/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Startup.localized/Word

had initially 0 bytes (when it is 13.1 Mb). So, it may me possible that word can’t read the bundle due to some permission issue

What  worked for me:

2. Go to /Applications/EndNote X8/Cite While You Write and copy  EndNote CWYW Word 16.bundle

3. Go to  /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Startup.localized/Word and delete any previous copy of CWYW. Then, paste EndNote CWYW Word 16.bundle. You will be asked for your password (it may be the admin password). Afterwards, you see that EndNote CWYW Word 16.bundle has 13.1 Mb as expected

My Word is in English as well

had initially 0 bytes (when it is 13.1 Mb)

What  worked for me:

The answer is simple: NO.  Endnote is a loser.  Change to Zotero.  I have already told students to not bother unless they’re ready to put out money regularly due to lack of support and inability/unwillingness to keep up with Microsoft

So Jason, are we Endnote x7 users going to be completely ignored?  I can’t believe that you say to simply downgrade to Word 15.  I pay for 365 and you want me to downgrade?  I can see you not patching 6 and below, but 7?  and if I upgrade to 8, then 9 will come out and you’ll want me to fork out more money when it becomes incompatible with another Microsoft update.  Incredible!

Hello Kathy,

I can certainly understand your frustration regarding EndNote X7 compatibility with Word 2016 version 16.xx. I would recommend contacting the Technical Support team to see what can be done to assist you:

http://www.endnote.com/contact

This is all about the Microsoft, in case you have any issues related to the Yahoo account like Account got Hacked, You forgot the Yahoo account Password, Unable to send the emails and attachment issues, no need to worry you can take the help of Yahoo expert by dialling the toll-free Yahoo Support number. +1-888-569-

This is not the first time that it happened. Nearly at each major office update, Endnote is broken and you must buy the new version… with nearly no new feature except that it worked again. And what is the most funny, is that generally it takes 1 or 2 months before to have the new working version whereas the beta for office showing the problem was available to developpers long before.

This is nearly like planned obsolescence… Thomson should take care of class action in USA (in France it does no work still) !

I totally agree. I find that Endnote v82 completly un-workable in Mac OS 10.13.3.  [Crashes all the time with Kernal and memory address errors].  This is independent of MS Word as all I am trying to do is add or edit references.  Clarivate Technical Support is worthless (they tell me to reinstall program).  I have been a user for 15 years and have an extensive reference library as a research professor.  It is a shame that this program has become bloated an unusable.  New buyers beware!!!

1 Like

I absolutely agree. Writing Manuscripts with this bloatware on an uptodate Mac with MS Word 2016 is next to impossible right now. Time to quit and leave Endnote behind.

Same here. Version 8.x crashed so often that I use the 7.x version except at the time of formating in word because the 7.x is not compatible.
The only new “new feature” of the 8.x version is to have corrected a bug that prevent its use in word 2016. I see no decent reason to be forced to pay again for that !
I check the alternative… it is time to shift to Zotero I think. It will be boring to move my 10000 bibliography with pdf; it will take me one full day but I cannot work with the actual version of endnote. Pity end story. I used endnote since version 2 I think.

Due to me installing the latest version of Microsoft Word v.16.11, my endnote v.8.2 is no longer compatible with the software. What should we do about this? Is EndNote going to fix these issues?

good microsoft word 2016