CWYW: X6 and Word 2011 Mac no longer works

Longtime EN user. With X6, the CWYW toolbar does not communicate with EN X6, nor can I insert references via EndNote into Word. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled CWYW and the plugin is indeed there. Thoughts?

Hello, dtoub:

When you say “the CWYW toolbar does not communicate with EN X6,” what exactly do you mean? Are the EndNote tools missing from Word? Or are they present, yet not working somehow? If it’s the latter, in what way are they not working?

Please provide as much detail as you can to help us diagnose the issue.

Thank you!

Thanks but I did some research on the Web and it has to do with the 10.8.2 update. Basically, there is a background process for Apple Events called appleeventsd that persists and is interfering with X6’s CWYW. Force-quitting the process via the Terminal or Activity Monitor corrects this temporarily. This is a glitch and I would hope your team is looking into it.

Hello, dtoub:

Actually, we have a whole thread dedicated to that issue:

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/Terrible-performance-EN6-under-Mountain-Lion/td-p/34965

As you can see from that thread, this is an Apple bug so there will not be an EndNote update for this issue. We  recommend those experiencing this should contact Apple to help them prioritize the effort: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html.

For more details and more information as it becomes available, please keep your eye on that forum thread linked above.

We apologize for the trouble, and join you in hoping Apple is able to resolve this soon.

It was very difficult to get Endnote 6.01 working with Word 2011 (Mac OSX 10.8.2): The trick was to force quit the process »appleeventsd«.

Unfortunately I had a system crash (the first one in 4 years… acceptable). The problem is that the above mentioned fix doesn’t work anymore.

Does anyone else expirience this probleme? The Endnote Toolbar (Cite while you write) is not appearing at all in Word 2011 Mac. I tried everything but it cannot be used!

Whenever I quit Word it alerts »Vorgang konnte nicht gestartet werden« (Translation: Process could not be launched).

There is a serious bug going on here! Either on Apple or on Thomson Reuters side.

Please Thomson Reuters communicate with Apple to find out what’s wrong! As I read from the tread you think it’s Apples fault anyway and you are not doing anything about it (at least that what is written in all this threads). I think it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to inform YOUR CUSTOMERS about this issue.

We understand the seriousness of this bug, as it affects a great number of our users.

As for the responsibility of informing our customers, not too long ago we sent out a mass e-mail to our registered users informing them of this issue.  If you did not recieve an e-mail, I would strongly recommend that you make certain that your software is registered.  You should be able to do this through our site…

http://endnote.com/contact/register

This will help ensure that you will recieve future alerts.

Thanks,

Steve

How can you say that.

You sell a software for a system.

If your software does not work you say that the system is wrong !

It is not very professional !

You should find a way to adapt your software if something has changed in the system you are supposed to support.

I just buy my EN6 mac licence. How to get reimburse if you are not able to give a functional software ?

Sincerely

Marc Girondot

1 Like

We are currently beta testing a release designed to specifically address the “EndNote is not responding : error -1712” when using EndNote X6 with Word 2011 on OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion. No other updates or new functionality will be included in this release.

Before participating in beta testing, you should understand the following:

• EndNote X6.0.1 must already be installed on your Mac and you must be running OS X 10.8.2.
  • The beta release will replace your current version of EndNote X6. Beta releases will time out at the conclusion of the beta cycle and you will need to reinstall X6 (instructions will be provided).
  • Installing the beta release will not change your current preferences (customized reference types, sync, duplicate checking, etc.)
  • While we make every effort to ensure stable beta releases and do perform testing prior to public release, it is not possible to test every “real world” scenario that may occur. By nature, beta software may cause crashes and is not intended for use with time-critical projects.
  • Beta testing should never be performed using “live” customized content (libraries, Word documents, output style files, etc.). Always work with copies of customized content when beta testing.

If you understand the points above and would like to participate, please send an e-mail to rs {dot} betacoordinator {at symbol} Thomson.com that includes your full name and e-mail address plus the serial number of your current version of EndNote (found in Help, About EndNote). We will send further instructions after the e-mail is received.

Best regards,

Sharon

The Thomson Reuters EndNote Team

What has happened to improve this situation, as of June 2013?  I have lost my toolbar now a second time for EndNote X6 using Word for Mac 2011 (I am using Mac OS 10.8.4).  Last time I reinstalled both EndNote (didn’t fix), did all the fixes on the EndNote website regaridng CWYW bundle, normal template, etc, updated all softward, and reinstalled Word for Mac (which cost me 2 days of productivity).  

If this is not fixable, I will need to abandon EndNote, as I have project due to a publisher in a few days and I can’t let an incompatibility issue end a project.  

1 Like

I’ve also not been able to get X6 to work under Mac OS Mountain Lion.

Surely, software developers produce software to work in an operatinfg system environment (Mac OS, Windows, Linux) and not the other way around. Are Apple likely to prioritise OS updates because of X6 problems?

The key point for me is that X5 works and X6 does not. Logically, the problem is with X6 not Mac OS?

1 Like

EndNote X6 is compatible with Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion). If you are having issues using the software in that environment, I would suggest contacting Technical Support to provide the details:

http://endnote.com/support/contact-support

Since the last update, which was mentioned earlier, EndNote has been working fine for me in 10.8.x. So it is more likely that there are individual situations that have issues.