Cannot Edit range

Hi there,

I have a staff member who is suddenly getting a “cannot edit range” pop up box whenever she tries to insert a citation. The citation is inserted but the reference list is not being created. She’s using X3 and Word 2007, style is APA 6th. She says it was all working perfectly until yesterday when it suddenly started doing this. I can’t see anything in the Endnote FAQs and haven’t ever seen this before - can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Cathy

Does this happen in all documents (old and newly created).  Does it happen for a specific record, or in a specific place in a document?  It sounds like there may be a corruption of a field or they are trying to put the next citation in a formatted citation? 

As always, I suggest they unformat the document, clean up any residual field codes and delete any leftover bibliography, and then reformat the document (and reenable CWYW).

Leanne,

Thanks for your response. It was happening in a current document and unformatting and reformatting didn’t solve the problem. I’ve just heard from her and she got the IT Dept to reinstall X3 which seems to have fixed it. Just seemed odd as I’ve not seen that error before (and as you all know here, we see lots of them!)

Many thanks,

Cathy

Just to add, in cases which may be due to corrupted field codes, after unformating, a remove field codes step needs to be applied before reformating, would be needed to get rid of any corrupted code.  Althought it refers to a different phenotype, this faq is good to bookmark on the clean up process.

Endnote just gives a generic Visual Basic error message ‘cannot edit range’ and does not add the reference to the word doc. Any one can help!

Endnote just gives a generic Visual Basic error message ‘cannot edit range’ and does not add the reference to the word doc. Any one can help!

1.jpg

Endnote just gives a generic Visual Basic error message ‘cannot edit range’ and does not add the reference to the word doc. Can you help!

Endnote just gives a generic Visual Basic error message ‘cannot edit range’ and does not add the reference to the word doc. Can you help!

1.jpg

Doesn’t look like an endnote field in the square bracket behind the error box?   (you have about 3-4 posts saying the same thing, which you should be able to delete apart from this one I replied to, which has the image attached.  

Does anyone has a clue how to solve this problem? Thank you.

It has been 7 years since the problem was first reported, and I can’t believe the Endnote team has not fixed this issue yet?

Just disable Mendely and enjoy.

It happened to me and it seems it was a conflict with Mendeley. I uninstalled the Mendeley MS Word plugin and Endnote worked fine again.