Cannot activate Endnote X4 CWYW add-in in Word 2007

After searching the forum, I found the following tips to activate the CWYW toolbar in word:

1.  Go to the Word 2010 toolbar, click FILE, OPTIONS (located under “Help”, then ADD-INS.

1. View  the Add-in’s “Inactive Application Add-ins” section for the “EndNote Cite While You Write” add-in file.

2. Click to highlight the “EndNote Cite While You Write” add-in file, then at the bottom of the screen where it says “Manage”, confirm that “COM Add-Ins” is listed then click the GO button, then click OK. 

3. Close Word Options window and return to the Word document.  If the EndNote toolbar does not appear, close Word then reopen the program.

I followed these steps in my word 2007 and saw that CWYW is inactive. However, when I select it and do step 3 above, CWYW add-in does not show up as an add-in option to add. Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this? Thanks!

Greetings,

I would check out the instructions mentioned in the following FAQ to see if one of the add-ins associated with EndNote has been disabled by Word- http://endnote.com/support/faqs/CWYW/faq48.asp .  Please let me know if this helps.

Best Regards,

Jimmy M.
Customer Technical Support Representative Scientific
Thomson Reuters
Phone: +1 800 336 4474
ResearchSoft Product Support
thomsonreuters.com

Unfortunately not! I do not have any disabled items that I could activate. Do you have any other ideas? As I say, it shows up as disabled in the add-ins list, but when I click go to manage COM Add-ins, Endnote does not appear as an option to add.

Try this: Instead of  selecting  COM Add-ins in the Manage drop-down menu, select Word Add-Ins. You should see Endnote Cwyw.dotm.

Emily

Thanks for the tip, but now my Endnote CWYW add-in has disappeared from my list of add-ins. This is bizarre. Do I need to reinstall Endnote first before I can try your idea?

No.  See: Article #:83058 " EndNote X1/X2/X3/X4 Windows: Install Word CWYW Toolbar" in the Endnote forum http://kbportal.thomson.com/display/2/kb/article.aspx?aid=83058&n=1&docid=2683533 for instructions on using the “Repair” function in the “Add/Remove Programs”.

Emily

Thank you, Emily. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling before I read your post and that did the trick. Who knows what was going on with word and Endnote. Thank you very much for you help!