Customized output styles gone!

I’m looking for some help with a problem that just popped up with my department’s use of EndNote. When we got the software in 2016, I painstakingly created or tweaked output styles to match how references should appear in our documents. A colleague (who has a newer version of the software) recently started helping me add references to our master EndNote library and alerted me that at least 2 of the customized styles I created are no longer available. Is there a way to get the customized styles back? Do you know what could have happened to them? If I have to re-create them all again, I don’t want to have this same problem in the future. 

Thanks,

Stephanie

If you are speaking about a desktop version, the modified output styles should be stored (automatically) in the User’s specified folder location, and shouldn’t be stored in the “default” installation folder in the Program’s folder.  Endnote keeps the two separate and combines them, so that the folder isn’t overwritten when the program is updated or upgraded.  They wouldn’t automatically located (unless you changed the folder location manually to a network accessible location) to others, and they would also have change the default preferences to look there.  Those folders would need to be found,  retained and then copied if the folder is located on the hard drive.  

Yes, everyone in our department has a desktop version on their laptops. I created the customized “.ens” file and put it on the shared server on our network that we use to store and access our EN library. 

I’m wondering if when the colleague who started helping me add references to our library - who has a newer version of EN - upgraded the software and when I downloaded the library from her, the customized options are gone. You’re saying that’s not possible though, I think. ? 

Shouldn’t happen as long as they didn’t mess with the shared folder which is separate from the folder associated IN the program folder – only the program folder and it original installation files should be affected.  Are your network drives backed up regularly?  maybe you can find it, if they go back far enough.    

Make sure you try the “select another style” option to see if they are listed in the “combined” list. 

hey, thnaks for the response because i was also looking for the same.

best regards!!

hey, thnaks for the response because i was also looking for the same.

best regards!!