Deleting endnote from microsoft word 2016 on a mac

The full path involves application support again, and there is still no microsoft office folder appearing in here. 

To make sure EndNote is cleanly removed from your comptuer, you can also reset any residual preferences files. Please Quit Word entirely and follow the steps found here: http://endnote.com/kb/82201

Thanks JimmyM,

That solved the problem for me after a couple months of having to close a pop-up window telling me that Endnotecwyw.bundle wasn’t compatible with my version of Word 365 every time I launched Word! Was driving me nuts and couldn’t figure out how to get rid of it!

Greetings Jimmy

I’m having the same issue too.

My full path is /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office 365/User Content.localized/Startup.localized/Word/Endnote CWYW Word 2016.bundle/Contents/Resources/EndNote CWYW Word 2016.dotm

Can help?

Thanks

Greetings kwaisiong,

Just to confirm, you’re looking to stop EndNote from loading when launching Word 2016 on your Mac?  Please reply to this thread to let me know, as this information will help ensure that I’m offering the appropriate advice for your situation.

Hi,

I am experiencing what I believe is a similar problem to kwaisiong’s. I use Word 2016 on Mac (Sierra). I only used EndNotes as an add-in in Word. Now I would like to remove EndNotes completely, which I would assume includes stopping EndNotes from loading when launching Word. I have followed all the instructions in this and several other topics. However, EndNote is still shown in my Word Add-Ins (.dotm and .bundle files), despite the fact that the shown path to these files results in empty folders.

I would be very happy if you could suggest a solution to this issue.

Best regards,

Tina

Greetings Tina,

With a Word document open, please click “Tools>Templates and Add-ins…” - are the EndNote add-ins checked by default on this window?  Or do you find the add-ins shown here are already unchecked when the Templates and Add-ins window appears?  If you single-click one of the EndNote add-ins listed on Templates and Add-ins, can you reply with its “Full path:” information found lower down on the same window?

Hi,

thank you for the fast reply. 

The EndNote add-in (there is only one: EndNote CWYW Word 2016) is unchecked by default in the Templates and Add-ins window. The full path to the add-in is Library/Application Support/Microsoft Office 365/User content.localized/Startup.localized/Word/EndNote CWYW Word 2016.bundle/Contents/Resources/EndNote CWYW Word 2016.dotm.

Best regards,

Tina

Greetings Tina,

If you navigate back to Word’s Templates and Add-ins window, are you able to highlight the unchecked “EndNote CWYW Word 2016” add-in listed here and remove it by pressing the minus symbol button found on the same window?  If you’re unable to remove this entry by pressing the minus button, or if the add-in re-appears on this window after removing it and restarting Word, I’d suggest resetting preference files associated with your Word installation.  To do so, please visit the following knowledgebase article:

http://endnote.com/kb/138936

The last section in this article is entitled “Tools are Missing, but everything appears correctly configured:”, and outlines the steps associated within resetting Word’s preferences.

Please let me know if this helps.

You can actually press Command+Shift+G in Finder. Then, type the directory address. This way, you can see that Microsoft folder does exist in the Applications Support folder! Just press CMD+Shift+G and insert the following:

/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Startup.localized

And remove the Endnote Bundle. Done.

You can actually press Command+Shift+G in Finder. Then, type the directory address. This way, you can see that Microsoft folder does exist in the Applications Support folder! Just press CMD+Shift+G and insert the following:

/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Startup.localized

And remove the Endnote Bundle. Done.

I have the same problem. Nothing I do can remve the 2016 bundle file. It is nowhere to be found on my mac, nor is the file path suggested below. It’s absurd that this is so hard to remove from a major software package. 

Greetings tangofox,

To confirm, are you having trouble removing EndNote’s Cite While You Write addin from your Microsoft Word 2016 for Mac installation?  If so, the add-in file should be found in the following location:

Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Microsoft > Office365 > User Content > Startup > Word

If you’re unable to find an EndNote CWYW Word 2016.bundle file within the Word folder mentioned above:

1.  Launch Word.

2.  Open any Word document.

3.  In Word, click Tools>Templates and Add-ins.

4.  If EndNote CWYW Word 2016.bundle shows up on Word’s Templates and Add-ins window, click the name of this particular add-in.

5.  With EndNote CWYW Word 2016.bundle highlighted, take note of the “Full path:” information listed toward the bottom of the Templates and Add-ins window.

Please let me know what you find.

Greetings!

The problem still remains in the end of 2020. (Word 16.42, MacOS Catalina 10.15.7).

Your solution unfortunately doesn’t work: there is no Office 365 folder. And deletion and deselection of the EndNote add-ons in Word menu doesn’t work eather: after Word is relaunched EN add-ons reappear again.

Please suggest what should I do with it.

Max

Hi I am having the same problem. My PC is always asking for CWYW add-in, when I am no longer using Endnote - can you help?

Please try the following steps with Word and EndNote closed.

Open Finder.

Click on the Go menu.

Click on Go to Folder.

Enter the path:

~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content.localized/Startup.localized/Word

Click Go.

In the Finder window that appears delete any .Bundle files with EndNote in the name.

You should then be able to open Word and the EndNote tab should no longer appear.

Still not fixed. There are no Endnote files in ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content.localized/Startup.localized/Word

Still not fixed. There are no endnote files in ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content.localized/Startup.localized/Word

OH MY GOODNESS THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Thank you! I can’t believe I had to register to  say thanks but thank you!