Double click does not open library

This may seem like a silly question…Ever since switching to EndNote X2, double clicking on an EndNote library in my documents does not open the library. If I have my Preferences>Libraries set to Open Recent, that is what opens, if Prompt, it prompts me, if Do Nothing it does exactly that.
How can I get EndNote to open my library from the library .enl file in my documents?

Thanks,
Angela

Mac or PC.  On my XP machines, I have my preferences set to open a specific library.  When I double click on a different library icon, it opens Endnote, and opens that one and the default library. 

The library you are trying to open is located in “my documents” and not in a folder in the Program folder, right? 

I’m on  PC, XP.  The library is in My Documents.  This only seems to happen when I open EndNote fresh each day. If I set a specific Library to open it opens that library but stalls when opening the double clicked library.  If EndNote is open I can double click the library.  I’ve never had this trouble before (I use EndNote everyday and since version 8) and this is a new library I created a week ago, so it was created with version X2.

Thanks for your help. I might have to talk to tech support specifically.

yes, perhaps Techsupport can figure out what is going on.  I do still have uncomfortable long delays when I ask Endnote to do something for the first time after openning, inserting references or looking up a new style.  It would be nice if these delays could be remedied by the developers. 

Hi Angela,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I have a student at my university with the same problem.

Thanks,

Megan

No, I have not found a solution, I’ve been too busy to contact technical support.  As a work around, I set EndNote to always open that particular file adn put a shortcut tot he EndNote program on my desktop.  Other libraries seem to open fine with the double click method, so I’ll just live with it for now.  It could be something wrong with this particular library, adn I don’t want to risk lossing it by doing a rebuild or something.

does that particular library have a name that doesn’t end in .enl?  If not, it is probably not “associated” with the program in Windows.   

It is an .enl file and i have the .DATA folder with it.  It was created with EndNote x2 very recently.  I think it’s a glitch since it is the only EndNote file that will not open with a double click.

Final word, have you tried “save as” to a new name and see if the new version now works correctly? 

We are tracking this as a possible minor bug in EndNote X2 although we have not yet be able to determine a specific pattern. Plus, in our internal tests, it is not reliably reproducible.

If anyone has examples or more detailed steps that can help narrow down this glitch, please feel free to send them to me directly.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

jason.rollins@thomsonreuters.com

The EndNote user at my institution who encountered this problem uninstalled and then reinstalled the program. She is now able to open .enl files by double clicking. Not exactly an ideal solution…

Leanne wrote:

yes, perhaps Techsupport can figure out what is going on.  I do still have uncomfortable long delays when I ask Endnote to do something for the first time after openning, inserting references or looking up a new style.  It would be nice if these delays could be remedied by the developers. 

Leanne, what version of Windows are you running?

XP Prof

Hm.  X2 does take a long time the first time that you open the style manager – as it was explained to me, it tends to front-load a lot of the data which makes for longer load times initially, but faster performance later on – but a long wait when inserting a reference is typically indicative of some kind of trouble accessing / editing the system registry.  Typically we see that happen once right after resetting preferences or (re)installing the program, and then it doesn’t happen again.  Were you running Vista, I’d blame UAC, but in XP it’s usually due to some kind of third-party registry protector or antivirus or antispyware program.