Downloaded output style does not work in MS Word

Hello,

I’m using EndNote X8 and MS Word 2007.

I’m trying to format a paper for the Journal of Latin American Studies, which requires to put all references in footnotes.

I tried to change the output style in MS Word (“style” >  “select another style”) and the style provided (“J Latin American Studies”) does not work as required. That is, it does not put the references in footnotes.

Then, I downloaded the “Journal of Latin American Studies” style from EndNote’s webpage, which explicitly says “Citation Style Term: Footnote”, and installed it in EndNote desktop (following the steps shown in that webpage).

HOWEVER, when I try to do change of style again in MS Word, I have the same problem: it does not put the references in footnotes.

What can I do? Changing all of this manually is too much, and does not make any sense if I’m already working with EndNote.

Many thanks in advance!

Javier

In order for citations to be treated as footnotes then need to be located in the footnote section of a document.

You can see the steps for how to start a document with footnotes here

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/article/EndNote-Entering-Citations-into-Word-footnotesendnotes?language=en_US

Since you have in-text citations currently you can use a Word macro document we have created to switch the in-text to footnotes.

Please use the following steps along with the attached document.

Note: Make sure that the Temp Citation Delimiters are set to curly braces {}. To check this, click the Edit menu (or the EndNote menu on the Mac) and select Preferences. Click on the Temporary Citations section and make sure the Temporary (or Temp) Citation Delimiter is set to the curly braces.

1. Make a backup of your document.

2. Word 2007/2010/2013/2016 with EndNote X1 or later/EndNote Web:
Go to the EndNote/EndNote Web tab and choose the “Convert Citations and Bibliography > Convert to Unformatted Citations” command.

Word 2007 with Endnote X or earlier:
Go to the Add-Ins tab and choose the “EndNote > Unformat Citations” command.

EndNote X5 with Word 2011:
Go to the Tools Menu and select “EndNote/EndNote Web > Convert to Unformatted Citations” command.

Word 2000/2002(XP)/2003/2004/2011:
Go to the Tools Menu and select “EndNote/EndNote Web > Unformat Citations” command.

Mac Word 2016 : Go to the EndNote tab and select the “Tools > Convert to Unformatted Citations” command.

This will remove the reference list and revert the citations.

3. Click [Ctrl] + A to select all or [Command] + A on the Mac
   4. Copy the document text
   5. Download the Word document titled “TextToFootnotes.doc” under Attachments at the bottom of this article.
   6. Paste the text into this file. Note: If prompted, select to enable the Macro when opening this file.
   7. In Word 2007/2010/2013/2016 , Go to the View tab, choose “Macros” and select “View Macros.” Select “Convert_to_footnote” and choose “Run.”
      In all other versions of Word, Go to “Tools > Macros and choose “Macros” from the submenu. Select “Convert_to_footnote” and choose “Run.”
   8. Once this is run, the in-text citations will be copied into footnotes.
   9. When the document has been updated, you can copy it into a new document.
   10. You should now be able to format this version of the document in the appropriate style.

If you have trouble with any of the above steps:

Please contact Technical Support directly

1-800-336-4474 option 4 then 1 or

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/technicalsupport?language=en_US

TextToFootnotes.zip (7.63 KB)

Thank you very much TMartín! It worked!!!

Javier

I am glad that I was able to help.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

The explanation is available for Mac OS users.

1- Copy the downloaded journal-style document.

2- Go to the “Documents” folder on your Mac Finder

3- Go to the “Endnote” folder and then “Styles”

4- Paste the document

5- Restart the Word and Endnote

6- You can see: Word document → “Endnote” section → “Style” → “Select another style”

7- Resolved :slight_smile: