EN20 Disaster

Who thought it would be a good idea to make EN20 really difficult to use?

Where is the toolbar? One step actions have become 3 steps.

I can’t find anything… where is the switchover icon that allowed online or online and local searches?

I have had a week of wasting time on EN20 instead of finishing my paper…

I am going back to X9 and if EN20 stays this way it is a dealbreaker.

Everyone is moving to simplified instructions via icons… Is EN going backwards?

Frustrated, annoyed and confounded…

3 Likes

I am just wondering who approved downgrade to EN20 from previous versions? I was trying to “find refernce updates”. Does it exsist in EN20 at all?

Dear ProfBenoliel,

According to your post message, I think it is better for you  to work with ENX9 in order to finish your paper.

EN 20 has a new “OUTFIT” and another icons . I am writing a review about EN20 for Alfasoft/Clarivate and I find that EN20 is not an untamable “animal”. If you have another PC , you can install EN20 and , with a lot of time, try to “TAME” it.

I tested (as reviewer) EN versions since EndNote 1 to 20 (see Leanne/Trensofty answers) This new outfit is worthwhile to be tamed . You must spend a lot of time for this purpose. Several bugs of the ENX9 version were fixed.

I am testing EN20 on Linux PC  MX  with Wine 6.0 /Windows10  and with a PC with Windows 10 Pro both with 64 Bit and SSD (12GB RAM Linux and 8,0 GB Windows.

Good luck

TRENSOFTY

1 Like

I hope you’ll mention in your review

• an unaddressed, long standing (3 months!) EN20 bug (find reference update -> update all crashes the program) 

• a discussed regression (pdf file can only be opened in a separate window and not in a frame of the main window).

You can find more in the forum…

Dear Fcota,

thank you for your answer and comment and wish.

Please tell me what a kind of PC  (32 bit or 64 Bit)  and EN20 version (win or mac) are you using.

Are you using Word 2016 or 365 or Libre Office or Open Office? If you use Libre Office and  Word,

see my post message Endnote and Libre. EN 20 works ONLY with Libre Office 7.0 32 Bit.

• please send  a picture about your bug (fine ref. update …)

• Concerning the new EN 20 pdf layout modification, please read my new post message in due course.

TRENSOFTY

Endnote User since Version EN Plus 1.2

I’m using EN20 win 64 bit version.

I described the bug here:

https:// community.endnote.com/t5/EndNote-General/Find-reference-update-doesn-t-update-the-fields-endnote-20/td-p/155416

There are more similar complaints in the forum… my original post was october 30, 2020.

The problem is still there.

I’ll read your new post message about layout modification.

Dear Trensofty,

I was hoping to PM you but I couldn’t find the function. You seem to be the only hit on google regarding EN20 and Linux installation. I understand that CWYW doesnt work. Installing EN20 works for me, however the program doesnt seem to be displayed properly, and opening the sync tab crashes it. I also cant seem to load my library.

Did you have any luck in the meantime?

Cheers and thanks a lot for your time,
Chr

Dear Trensofty,

I was hoping to PM you but I couldn’t find the function. You seem to be the only hit on google regarding EN20 and Linux installation. I understand that CWYW doesnt work. Installing EN20 works for me, however the program doesnt seem to be displayed properly (cf. Attachment), and opening the sync tab crashes it. I also cant seem to load my library.

Did you have any luck in the meantime?

Cheers and thanks a lot for your time,
Chr

How to PM someone.  

click on their name and choose to contact them privately.  

Thanks a lot. I guess my account wasn’t cleared, I haven’t had this option last week :slight_smile:
Cheers.

When programming Endnote20, 10 Endnote9 errors were corrected, but 20 new errors were added. The ***edit*** is EN20. EN20 is made for this programmer, but not for the consumer / user of this program. EN20 has caused me a lot of damage. I paid for the program, not for its problems.

Dear colleagues,
I bought an upgrade from ENX7 to EN20, was enormously annoyed and downgraded to ENX9 after 4 weeks. These are my reasons, which I have also communicated to customer service:

Show/hide selected References: Function deleted: To identify difference in authors first and middle names (APA style), which influence appearance of citations in text, critical references have to be grouped. This is done by show selected references. There is no other simple way

Go to next reference (edit): Function deleted: For systematic corrections without leaving edit mode, go to next reference is necessary. This function was able to land in exact the same field in the following reference. Very time economical

Bibliographic output field: Moved and only visible after double click on reference, activating panel: Alternative way: 4-fold click amount. It is sometime necessary to know how the default formatting of the reference is chosen, when full reference style is copied (to a powerpoint presentation etc.), where no formatting function is available.

Clear Search: New function in EN20. Works only when search provided hits: Why is this button not permanent active to clear the search panel independently of search results?

Appearance: ENX9 → friendly colours, EN20 → dark mode, heavy metal appearance

Reference rows distances: In EN20 to wide: Only half of the references can be seen in comparison to former versions

Display fonts: Not any more selectable. Instead, selection between default and a too small font size: For individual vision not sensitive enough (too big or too small, but not convenient)

Preferences: X7 and EN20 use the same ini-file: A parallel use of both programmes is not possible, as both programmes open the same selected open library my default. As the use different database structure, error messages occur

Additional Reference panel: nice function in EN20, but useless, unless Windows does not allow to horizontally or vertically tile: badly thought-out

Search results: In EN20 not any more displayed in group panel: As a consequence, search has to be repeated several times, when scrolling through results->Very time consuming

Groups panel: EN20: A lot of unnecessary information lines reduce the view on groups: Field information lines should be selectable in preferences

Import Icon: Icon deleted. Alternative way: Threefold click amount: Several clicks are required to import a file: file → Import → File

Show file Icon: Icon deleted + Keyboard shortcut deleted. Alternative way: 4-fold click amount

File attachment (right click): Moved to summary: 4-fold click amount to link reference with pdf

1 Like