Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
User

ENREF error on EndNote X7

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone Smiley Happy

I am writting a word document with 340 pages and 430 references. Everything is going fine, except that in some references, instead of appearing like (Author, year), it appears (_ENREF_XXX) (with XXX being 387; 196; 202; 377; 276; etc.). And I don't know how to fix this.

Some notes:

-ENREF only appears on footnotes;

-I am using EndNote X7, Word 2010, Windows 8.1;

-Not all references in the footnotes appear as ENREF, just some (46 to be more precise);

-I did all the writting by myself, and did not copy any EndNote references from other documents;

-If I copy the an ENREF EndNote reference to another word document, it turns into a normal reference (even if put in a footnote), but if I copy that good reference back to the footnote of the main article it turns back into ENREF;

-I have the in-text references underlined and with links to the full references at the end of the document;

-ENREF only appears in the in-text references (in the footnotes). The full references at the end of the document are fine;

-If I change the reference format to Author (year) the problem is solved. But I need those references to be in (Author, Year) format.

ATTENTION: If I uncheck the underline linked references option the problem is completely solved. BUT THE DOCUMENT MUST HAVE REFERENCES UNDERLINED BY ENDNOTE TO BE ACCEPTED.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance Smiley Wink

Mentor

Re: ENREF error on EndNote X7

Have you tried unformating and (convert to unformated citations) reformating?  (update citations and bibliography) 

(long time Endnote user)
User

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply.

I typed Alt 4 (to unformat), then I clicked on "update citations and bibliography", but the problem still remains on the exact same references.

Mentor

[ Edited ]

ADDED in EDIT:  You might want to run thru the cleanup steps, which are to unformat citations, then select all and remove all field codes, and then reformat.

original post: 

do they unformat to the appropriate unformated citation?  Are they of a different ref type than the ones that work?  

sounds like you need to contact support  -- here are the instructions from Tony on that

Please contact Technical Support directly

1-800-336-4474 option 4 then 1

or

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/technicalsupport?language=en_US

Best Regards,
Tony M.
Technical Support Representative RS
Clarivate Analytics

Phone: +1 800 336 4474
clarivate.com
· · · · · · · · · · · · · ·
(long time Endnote user)
User

Hello again,

I compared the unformated version of the ENREF with one from the same author (that is working) and there are no differences. I even selected the option to see all field codes, and even there there were no differences.

I went through the clean up proces you suggested, but the problem still remains on the same exact references. I even copied the version that had the field codes removed and the unformated citations to a new word document, and then reformated, but the problem still remains.

Unfortubatly the link you sent me does not work, it might be because I am from Portugal.

I have noticed though that if I delete everything before the literature review (which is just plain text, one image, and some references) the number of ENREF occurences decreases by 1 (from 46 to 45).

Highlighted
Mentor

Try www.endnote.com and the support tab?  Not sure there is a Portugal phone number though.  -- but you should be able to submit and inquiry online? 

If you can zip the formated word file and attach it (or a part of it showing the error) I might be able to look at it? - But Thanksgiving is tomorrow here!  (I am just another user, not associated with Endnote.  

(long time Endnote user)