EndNote 7.7 and MacOS Sierra

Is there an anticipated time line for the needed update. 

You can see a full run down of X7 on Sierra on my post here: http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/Attention-Mac-users-X7-PDF-viewer-and-Sierra/td-p/131351

If you are a Mac user that relies heavily on PDF annotation workflows in X7, we  recommend that you do not upgrade  to Sierra. And, if you do, and encounter an issue outside of PDF thumbnails missing, and misaligned annotations, please get in touch with our Support team. 

Thank you,

Meredith M. 

I want to urge anyone who is considering upgrading to OS Sierra and who uses Endnote NOT TO UPGRADE. I upgraded and spent a weekend playing around with different versions of Word 2011, 2016 and two macs - I can conclude that Endnote CWYW plug in is not compatible with OS Sierra and thus I would urge anyone considering upgrading to wait until X8 is released. I downgraded to El Capitan and eventually Endnote is working again with Word 2016. 

The cite whilst you write plug in is essential for most users and hence latest Endnote is not compatible in anyway with Word 2016 when the OS is the new Sierra.

I want to urge anyone who is considering upgrading to OS Sierra and who uses Endnote NOT TO UPGRADE. I upgraded and spent a weekend playing around with different versions of Word 2011, 2016 and two macs - I can conclude that Endnote CWYW plug in is not compatible with OS Sierra and thus I would urge anyone considering upgrading to wait until X8 is released. I downgraded to El Capitan and eventually Endnote is working again with Word 2016. 

The cite whilst you write plug in is essential for most users and hence latest Endnote is not compatible in anyway with Word 2016 when the OS is the new Sierra.

1 Like

EndNote X7.7 build 11722 crashes on Mac OS X 10.12 (Build 16A323) (macOS Sierra) during PDF import. I have submitted at least 2 crash reports.

Is anyone able to get EndNote to work with Word CWYW on Sierra?  Is Thomson-Reuters looking into this?

Hi @nmadani

@nmadani wrote:

EndNote X7.7 build 11722 crashes on Mac OS X 10.12 (Build 16A323) (macOS Sierra) during PDF import. I have submitted at least 2 crash reports.

That is a known issue we have, but one that was raised before Sierra released. The team is looking into a solution. The behavior is not consistent, and may have something to do with DOIs in the PDF having a line break in them. Not related to Sierra though.  

And @theflyerford

@theflyerford wrote:

I can conclude that Endnote CWYW plug in is not compatible with OS Sierra and thus I would urge anyone considering upgrading to wait until X8 is released

There are no known issues with X7.7, Cite While You Write and macOS Sierra at this time.

Please get in touch with our Support teamto explain the behavior and see if they can shed some light on the issues you are experiencing. There may be another contributing factor that the team can help you root out and solve for.

Sierra related issues with X7.7 at this time remain as initially reported with the PDF thumbnails missing from viewer and text selection of annotations misaligned from mouse cursor.  

Thank you,

Meredith M.

@meredithm wrote:

@hi1 @nmadani

That is a known issue we have, but one that was raised before Sierra released. The team is looking into a solution. The behavior is not consistent, and may have something to do with DOIs in the PDF having a line break in them. Not related to Sierra though.  

I have a set of PDFs that reporduces this problem and I can provide it if that would help.

@nmadani wrote:

I have a set of PDFs that reproduces this problem and I can provide it if that would help.

Yes! That would be great. Can you email me at meredith.mccusker@thomsonreuters.com ? I will set up a way for you to get them to me. 

Thanks,

Meredith M. 

I decided to purchase X7 yesterday after using basic and really enjoying the experience. I paid and the download went flawless until the application opens and I am immediately prompted not to install mac os x sierra. I already have Sierra, why on earth was this information not available as part of the product purchase process?

I cannot use the application because every time I open it I have to go through and reinstall it. I already ejected the installation .dmg, this is coming straight from the EndNote app. It is essentially unusable because each install forces me to resync my library with the cloud, voiding any progress made with the desktop app.

I am able to use the Word CWYW feature but this is no different than the basic version. This product was not adequetely advertised and if no solution can be provided I will need my money back…

I decided to purchase X7 yesterday after using basic and really enjoying the experience. I paid and the download went flawless until the application opens and I am immediately prompted not to install mac os x sierra. I already have Sierra, why on earth was this information not available as part of the product purchase process?

I cannot use the application because every time I open it I have to go through and reinstall it. I already ejected the installation .dmg, this is coming straight from the EndNote app. It is essentially unusable because each install forces me to resync my library with the cloud, voiding any progress made with the desktop app.

I am able to use the Word CWYW feature but this is no different than the basic version.

Why do Mac users have to find that EndNote isn’t compatible with each new MacOS release? The same thing happened with El Capitan. As another correspondent wrote, the beta version of McOS Sierra was released in June 2016. You’ve had more than enough time to make sure that EndNote X7 is compatible.

So WHY Haven’t you?

I would appreciate a detailed response.

Thank you,

AH

1 Like

This is, indeed, pitiful that a solution has not been found for a product the cost of EndNote and an orgainsiation the size of TR.

For information…

1. I have been assured byTR (via Twitter0 that this will be resolved by November - I’m sceptical given the poor track record of resolving previous critical software incompatability eg Issues with last Word for Mac upgrade.

2. I’ve ben trialling Papers for Mac (no COI here) whilst I await action from TR. I’m finding it very good for collation of papers online etc although there are some limitations. I haven’t yet used it for drafting, citing, bibliography etc

3. I get a new desktop next week which will be preinstalled with Sierra, so if Papers holds up and there is not a solution from TR for EndNote very soon then that will be the end of a >20 relationship with this researcher.

Have you tried Mendeley in the new macOS Sierra environment?

I don’t want to upgrade for now as most of my literature and more familiar with EndNote

And I do need the pdf function 

Hi @thisisvj89,

The issues with X7.7 and macOS Sierra are as originally reported, meaning no new issues have come up since the release. Those are:

• Thumbnail view of PDFs missing 

• Text selection misalignment when annotating

• Volume installer issues for multi-user and site licenses (more info here http://endnote.com/kb/140624)

I’m sorry to hear you about the individual install problems and the Cite While You Write (CWYW) tools not appearing. After installing X7.7, I’d recommend to go through Customizer again (EndNote menu → Customizer) and reinstall the CWYW tools.

More info here: http://endnote.com/kb/138936 

If that doesn’t work, please call our Support team (http://endnote.com/support) to have them weigh in. 

Also, everyone who purchased X7 on or after September 1, 2016 will get a free upgrade to X8. 

Lastly, regarding the PDF issues (thumbnail view missing and text selection for annotating), these have been reported by the EndNote development team to Apple. These same issues can be found in other Mac applications with similar PDF capabilities. These will absolutely be fixed by the EndNote team for X8, but it is possible that Apple will release an update to Sierra that will include fixes for these issues, thus improving the PDF experience for X7 users without a release from EndNote. 

If you have any other question, please let me know and thanks. 

Meredith M.

Will there be a version x7.8 released to fix these issues? Or does the impending release of x8 mean the end of further development on x7?

This entire issue with incompatible software, despite early beta releases of OS Sierra, does not speak for professional software development, along with a teaser while opening X7 not to upgrade to Sierra…

Plus, an update just for the users who purchased in September is not a fair customer policy! I, who purchased the software a bit earlier, was assured that there is a three-month grace period for possible upgrades, while TR was not transparent with any release date, after numerous queries. Now I have purchased (after my X3 was out of order) and have to face a new version without possible upgrades.

The transparency of TR, and customer relations, have become worse over my 10+ years I am using the software. I, and my workgroup, we may switch to Mendeley or CitAvi as a consequence.

I purchased my X7 in April - will those of us that close get a discount (I know, crazy question). But now I have an application that I use heavily that is keeping me from updating my computer.

1 Like

I purchased my X7 in April - will those of us that close get a discount (I know, crazy question). But now I have an application that I use heavily that is keeping me from updating my computer, resulting in potential security risks.

I’m having major trouble with the CWYW for Word 2016 since upgrading to Sierra. All of a sudden, the field “Short Title” has disappeared from all footnote citations, and I haven’t been able to get them back. Word crashes every time I try to change the Output Style. Long Form Titles still show up, just not the Short Form.

I really hope this issue will be fixed with X8.