Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
User

EndNote 7.7 and MacOS Sierra

EndNote has just advised us that its PDF viewer does not work under MacOS Sierra. I never use that feature, so this is not a problem for me.

Does anyone know if the rest of EndNote is functional under Sierra? Any known problems besides viewing PDFs?

Enthusiast

Re: EndNote 7.7 and MacOS Sierra

Its so frustrating that EndNote just can't keep up with Apple updating their software.  It is mid-September.  Apple released macOS Sierra Beta 1 on June 13.  The EndNote team is that small or that ignorant that they can't adapt the code of EndNote in the 3 months Apple gives them?  Its really sad that we pay for a product that cannot keep up with updates that they were given plenty of warning to.  The same thing has happened the past 3 updates from Apple.  I really wish there was a better competitor to EndNote, because Thomson Reuters really does not keep this product up to quality.  

Visitor

I agree with you. This is an intolerable situation for a big company like Thomson Reuters. Shameful!

Administrator

You can see a full run down of X7 on Sierra on my post here: http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/Attention-Mac-users-X7-PDF-viewer-and-Sierra/...

If you are a Mac user that relies heavily on PDF annotation workflows in X7, we recommend that you do not upgrade to Sierra. And, if you do, and encounter an issue outside of PDF thumbnails missing, and misaligned annotations, please get in touch with our Support team. 

Thank you,

Meredith M. 

New User

A Word of CAUTION - EndNote 7.7 and MacOS Sierra

I want to urge anyone who is considering upgrading to OS Sierra and who uses Endnote NOT TO UPGRADE. I upgraded and spent a weekend playing around with different versions of Word 2011, 2016 and two macs - I can conclude that Endnote CWYW plug in is not compatible with OS Sierra and thus I would urge anyone considering upgrading to wait until X8 is released. I downgraded to El Capitan and eventually Endnote is working again with Word 2016. 

The cite whilst you write plug in is essential for most users and hence latest Endnote is not compatible in anyway with Word 2016 when the OS is the new Sierra.

New User

A Word of CAUTION - EndNote 7.7 and MacOS Sierra

I want to urge anyone who is considering upgrading to OS Sierra and who uses Endnote NOT TO UPGRADE. I upgraded and spent a weekend playing around with different versions of Word 2011, 2016 and two macs - I can conclude that Endnote CWYW plug in is not compatible with OS Sierra and thus I would urge anyone considering upgrading to wait until X8 is released. I downgraded to El Capitan and eventually Endnote is working again with Word 2016. 

The cite whilst you write plug in is essential for most users and hence latest Endnote is not compatible in anyway with Word 2016 when the OS is the new Sierra.

Contributor

Re: A Word of CAUTION - EndNote 7.7 and MacOS Sierra

EndNote X7.7 build 11722 crashes on Mac OS X 10.12 (Build 16A323) (macOS Sierra) during PDF import. I have submitted at least 2 crash reports.

Enthusiast

Re: A Word of CAUTION - EndNote 7.7 and MacOS Sierra

Is anyone able to get EndNote to work with Word CWYW on Sierra?  Is Thomson-Reuters looking into this?

Administrator

Hi @nmadani

nmadani wrote:

EndNote X7.7 build 11722 crashes on Mac OS X 10.12 (Build 16A323) (macOS Sierra) during PDF import. I have submitted at least 2 crash reports.

That is a known issue we have, but one that was raised before Sierra released. The team is looking into a solution. The behavior is not consistent, and may have something to do with DOIs in the PDF having a line break in them. Not related to Sierra though.  

And @theflyerford

theflyerford wrote:

I can conclude that Endnote CWYW plug in is not compatible with OS Sierra and thus I would urge anyone considering upgrading to wait until X8 is released

There are no known issues with X7.7, Cite While You Write and macOS Sierra at this time.

Please get in touch with our Support team to explain the behavior and see if they can shed some light on the issues you are experiencing. There may be another contributing factor that the team can help you root out and solve for.

Sierra related issues with X7.7 at this time remain as initially reported with the PDF thumbnails missing from viewer and text selection of annotations misaligned from mouse cursor.  

Thank you,

Meredith M.

Contributor

MeredithM wrote:

Hi @nmadani

That is a known issue we have, but one that was raised before Sierra released. The team is looking into a solution. The behavior is not consistent, and may have something to do with DOIs in the PDF having a line break in them. Not related to Sierra though.  

I have a set of PDFs that reporduces this problem and I can provide it if that would help.