EndNote 8.1 seriously slow on MacOS 10.13

To be honest, that is not quite correct. 32-bit apps in general still are compatible with macOS but the warning is just to alert folks that at some point in the next major OS release, they will no longer be compatible. Endnote will indeed need to be updated but that is not the issue at present. 

Just attached a 3MB PDF to a record in my Endnote X8 library and it took literally 10 minutes to complete the operation. This obviously isn’t workable …

I’m running Endnote X8.2 on my mac os x 10.13.4. I have not enabled web syncing, my library is stored locally and is not synced anywhere.

Any further suggestions for dealing with this slowdown?

I just attached a single PDF to a record in my endnote X8.2 library and the operation literally took 10 minutes to complete …

Running endnote X8.2 on mac os x 10.13.4.

Any further suggestions for dealing with this problems, as this is clearly unworkable …

I moved my Endnote libraries out of any folder backed up to Dropbox. But the spinning beachballs persist unless and until I restart Endnote. Cloud sync is NOT the issue.

The lack of tech support input here is pretty discouraging. 

I need a solution that works, and would appreciate the input of Endnote support here as I’d not gotten any solutions by contacting support directly. They just blame Apple. 

Solution that worked for me: Using OS10.13.3, X8.2 BLD 13302:  Moved the styles, filter and connections folders to a subfolder in my applications folder.  My filter and connection folders were in a folder that was backed up by dropbox, which would be consistent with some of the comments above.  Styles folder was not but moved it to the same subfolder as the other two to keep it tidy.  My endnote library is saved directly in my applications folder.  Hope this holds up for me!  And helps some of you!

PS my applications folder is not backed up to anything but time machine.

Thanks but those folders are all with the app in my Applications folder and are not backed up to any cloud service. Right now nothing related to Endnote is backed up/synced to Dropbox yet the app slows down over time and becomes unusable (you know-the status quo these days with Endnote) until and unless I quit ENX8 and restart it. No other app, and I have apps that also are database-driven like Endnote, behaves this way.

how to install mac os ? please information …

I have been using 8.2 and OS 10.13.4 and the performance is just getting slower with every entry. Yes the coloured ball appears all the time and scrolling through the entries takes for ever!!!

I have used old version not on a Mac with no issues.

Thanks. Moving all of the Styles to the EndNote subfolder in the Application folder also worked for me!

Does anyone have any other suggestions? 

I am running X8.2 with 10.13.4.

I have moved all folders off Dropbox and put them on the local drive. 

STILL PAINFULLY SLOW!

Yup. Me too. And having moved my libraries I now can’t sync with endnote Web. There is no way on a Mac to change the sync folder location in preferences. That field isn’t editable. Dumb. Really really dumb. I despise this crappy software.

I feel the same. I am test driving some other solutions. 

Best of luck. Keep us posted.

Okay, Zotero is WAY faster. Exported all of my EndNote entries (nearly 200). Get instructions from their website (export XML). Imported easily into Zotero. WOW! It seems lightning fast compared to EndNote.

Been thinking about it and now may try it out for sure. Thanks.

Just got off the phone with tech support. 

THEY SOLVED MY PROBLEM. 

Apparently, if you have PDFs in your database that CONTAIN ANNOTATIONS, this is causing the problem. 

I only had two PDFs.

When I removed them, problem solved. 

They are taking the issue up with Apple and are aware of it. 

In the meantime, delete your PDFs and it should help

Well none of my PDFs have annotations. Not a one. And EndNote has many issues with PDFs in general that they consistently blame on Apple but they never move forward with any solution of their own. The OS causes issues with most apps and the developers tend to fix whatever they can if Apple doesn’t have a solution. But EndNote: not so much. Blaming Apple, which has many faults, isn’t helping any of us. Find a workaround. Fix your code. But the solution isn’t to remove a feature (ie, including PDFs in one’s EN library). The solution is to fix the problem, period.

Tried Zotero. Yes, it imported everything from EndNote, including my PDFs, just fine. However, it can’t do a search of PubMed, which is something I need all the time. Also can’t find full text PDFs and download them so that’s also a nonstarter. But the lack of a PubMed search feature is the main issue for me at least. If I didn’t need that, then Zotero would likely fit the bill nicely.

That’s a bummer, on both fronts. I am going to use Zotero for this paper I am currently writing to have a complete understanding of its abilities. Will make a decision after that. It’s too bad that EndNote isn’t dealing with this.

Agreed. It is pretty shabby that they have not weighed in or made any real effort to solve the problem.