EndNote 8 crashes on Sierra (10.12.4)

Hi folks, I was having this problem and it resolved when I stopped syncing with EndNote web (go to Preferences, Sync, and uncheck “Sync Automatically.”

Hi folks, I was having this problem and it resolved when I stopped syncing with EndNote web (go to Preferences, Sync, and uncheck “Sync Automatically”).

Thanks for the tip tkpatt. Sadly, this doesn’t resolve the issue for me :cry:

All Recipes Available Here In Hindi Like As Dinner,Lunch Recipes, Veg And Non Veg, pizza, breakfast recipes, Chinese Recipes,

<a hre="http://zaykarecipes.com">recipe in hindi</a>

, dal makhani.

zayka.jpg

Unfortunately doesn’t work for me either. 

Hey all, I am sorry to see you all are having the same probem I am. I am trying to meet a publication submission deadline and I have to force quit endnote after trying to open up attached studies. It is silly to continue to use this product if it can’t be fixed. Has anyone found a solution? Thanks!

Same problem occurred here! My endnote started freezing even before i updated to 10.12.4. I thought the update would solve the problem but it did not. Any advice would be really appreciated, 

Same problem occurred here! My endnote8 started freezing itself even before i updated to 10f12.4. I thought the update would solve the problem but it did not. Any advice would be really appreciated. 

I have been in touch with tech support and they are working on an update/patch. Unsure when this is being released. Until then it is indeed MADDENING. EndNote encourages you to use it to manage all your references including PDFs. So EndNote is THE system for me to organize hundreds/thousands of scientific articles essential to my work. And now it does not work. I am using EndNote Web to access the documents in the mean time but it is a very light version of the software and dramatically reduces my productivity. 

In the mean time, the more people who post on here, the more pressure we can give for them to follow through and come out with an update!

1 Like

Same response from tech support.  They acknowledge it is a bug related to PDF attachments.  Until it’s fixed the program is close to unusable for any length of time.  

I have the same problem. The program kept freezing with endnote 7.7 so I spent over $100 to upgrade to endote 8 and it is still freezing. I am trying to meet a publication deadline too. This is very, very frustrating. I think we should be reimbursed for whatever additional funds we have had to expend for this. When is endnote going to work. If not soon we need to dump the program.

Yes absolutely, keeping crashing all the time. I would like to refer this as the “WannaCry” for academics!

Yes absolutely, keeping crashing all the time. I would like to refer this as the “WannaCry” for academics!

Hi everyone, 

It has been uncovered that due to a bug in macOS Sierra 10.12.4, EndNote libraries with PDFs that have extensive annotations have issues. This will cause the app to hang (not crash). Previous versions of macOS Sierra are not exhibiting this. Until further notice of fix/patch from Apple we recommend to use EndNote on a previous OS.

But, if EndNote is crashing on you, please call our Support team. A crash is likely caused by something else and they can walk you through remediation steps. http://endnote.com/support

Will update as we know more. 

Thank you,

Meredith 

Recent mac update - Update 10.12.5 partly fixed the problem.

Strange thing is that for couple I had native EndNote PDF reader but now disappeared. Double click on reference in the past would open native Endote PDF reader now it is opening reference editing. Native endnote reader disappeared and documents annotation can either be done only in Preview or Acrobat Pro if you have one.

However, it is still buggy and freezes but less than on 10.12.4

I too was having issues with EndNote X7 ‘hanging’ in Sierra (10.12.4) last month.

I got in touch with Jay Nadler (CEO at Clarivate Analytics) via LinkedIn on 22nd Apr. to express my dissatisfaction with X7 on Sierra. Jay recommended the upgrade to X8 and support colleagues got in touch provided a free upgrade for me, which appeared to resolve the issue.

However, since upgrading to Sierra 10.12.5 this issue appears to have reappeared in EndNote X8. Now I ‘WannaCry’ for sure.

Clearly this is a pressing issue for the whole community.

I am constantly visiting different communities, blogs etc. (official and unofficial) and it seems there is no solution. Any update of EndNote or OS causing many issues and inconvenience for us as users.

I like idea of EndNote and EndNote web but I cannot afford to risk my career and my productivity with this kind of issues. It seems there is miscommunication or no communication between EndNote and Apple.

One of recommendation provided to me was move to Microsoft it works better there, another one was move to another solution, etc.

I am long time user and I hope issue would be addressed soon, otherwise I am not sure how long we will be able to wait for a solution.

I am a long-time EndNote user (since EndNote 2). EndNote 7.7 kept hanging on my OS 10.12.5, so I upgraded to EndNote 8, ALTHOUGH I DO NOT FEEL THAT I SHOULD HAVE TO PAY MORE TO OBTAIN A PRODUCT THAT WORKS.

No improvement.

Hold onto your money until this is resolved.

Unfortunately, I cannot cope with this instability of software at the moment.

Any alternative to EndNote that you tested and is working fine on Mac.

I have been having the same problem for about 2 months not. I cannot pinpoint the exact time it started happening so am not sure what brought the problem on. It crashes over 50% of the time on openining EndNote and once it EndNote it typically crashes within 2-5 minutes of interaction. Opening a reference with an attached pdf is particularly problematic. It crashes so frequently that it is severly impacting my productivity. I’ve recentily updated my OS from Sierra 10.12.4 to 10.12.5. This did NOT resolve the problem. Although I’m incredibly frustrated by the crashing, I’m comforted in finding I’m not the only one experiencing this problem.