EndNote 8 crashes on Sierra (10.12.4)

Same response from tech support.  They acknowledge it is a bug related to PDF attachments.  Until it’s fixed the program is close to unusable for any length of time.  

I have the same problem. The program kept freezing with endnote 7.7 so I spent over $100 to upgrade to endote 8 and it is still freezing. I am trying to meet a publication deadline too. This is very, very frustrating. I think we should be reimbursed for whatever additional funds we have had to expend for this. When is endnote going to work. If not soon we need to dump the program.

Yes absolutely, keeping crashing all the time. I would like to refer this as the “WannaCry” for academics!

Yes absolutely, keeping crashing all the time. I would like to refer this as the “WannaCry” for academics!

Hi everyone, 

It has been uncovered that due to a bug in macOS Sierra 10.12.4, EndNote libraries with PDFs that have extensive annotations have issues. This will cause the app to hang (not crash). Previous versions of macOS Sierra are not exhibiting this. Until further notice of fix/patch from Apple we recommend to use EndNote on a previous OS.

But, if EndNote is crashing on you, please call our Support team. A crash is likely caused by something else and they can walk you through remediation steps. http://endnote.com/support

Will update as we know more. 

Thank you,

Meredith 

Recent mac update - Update 10.12.5 partly fixed the problem.

Strange thing is that for couple I had native EndNote PDF reader but now disappeared. Double click on reference in the past would open native Endote PDF reader now it is opening reference editing. Native endnote reader disappeared and documents annotation can either be done only in Preview or Acrobat Pro if you have one.

However, it is still buggy and freezes but less than on 10.12.4

I too was having issues with EndNote X7 ‘hanging’ in Sierra (10.12.4) last month.

I got in touch with Jay Nadler (CEO at Clarivate Analytics) via LinkedIn on 22nd Apr. to express my dissatisfaction with X7 on Sierra. Jay recommended the upgrade to X8 and support colleagues got in touch provided a free upgrade for me, which appeared to resolve the issue.

However, since upgrading to Sierra 10.12.5 this issue appears to have reappeared in EndNote X8. Now I ‘WannaCry’ for sure.

Clearly this is a pressing issue for the whole community.

I am constantly visiting different communities, blogs etc. (official and unofficial) and it seems there is no solution. Any update of EndNote or OS causing many issues and inconvenience for us as users.

I like idea of EndNote and EndNote web but I cannot afford to risk my career and my productivity with this kind of issues. It seems there is miscommunication or no communication between EndNote and Apple.

One of recommendation provided to me was move to Microsoft it works better there, another one was move to another solution, etc.

I am long time user and I hope issue would be addressed soon, otherwise I am not sure how long we will be able to wait for a solution.

I am a long-time EndNote user (since EndNote 2). EndNote 7.7 kept hanging on my OS 10.12.5, so I upgraded to EndNote 8, ALTHOUGH I DO NOT FEEL THAT I SHOULD HAVE TO PAY MORE TO OBTAIN A PRODUCT THAT WORKS.

No improvement.

Hold onto your money until this is resolved.

Unfortunately, I cannot cope with this instability of software at the moment.

Any alternative to EndNote that you tested and is working fine on Mac.

I have been having the same problem for about 2 months not. I cannot pinpoint the exact time it started happening so am not sure what brought the problem on. It crashes over 50% of the time on openining EndNote and once it EndNote it typically crashes within 2-5 minutes of interaction. Opening a reference with an attached pdf is particularly problematic. It crashes so frequently that it is severly impacting my productivity. I’ve recentily updated my OS from Sierra 10.12.4 to 10.12.5. This did NOT resolve the problem. Although I’m incredibly frustrated by the crashing, I’m comforted in finding I’m not the only one experiencing this problem.

I am having the same issue, I just spent the past week onboarding to endnote. Thought I had chosen the right system and it turns out that it is extremely unstable. This is frustrating. I am still in my trial 30 day period. I am just frustrated abount the time spent learning, noting, etc. I thought I was having an anaomly regarding the crashes and figured it work itself out, but now that I’m actually working on a reasearch paper, this is extremely annonying!!! I can not believe this is happening. I am so disappointed!

Hi, guys. Doing OS Sierra 10.12.5 - still no change in my EndNote mess ups. Incredibly frustrating.

Any temporary solutions (apart from scrapping a 6-month old MacBook Pro Touch Bar) yet?

I have the same issue with Endnote 8 and Sierra 10.12.5.  Endnote freezes/hangs when clicking on or viewing a reference with an attached PDF with annotations saved to it (Mine are marked with highlighting). The only solution I’ve found is to same the PDF to another location (desktop), delete the reference from Endnote, and then re-import it.  Not really practical, but if you only have a few annotated PDFs you are working with, can allow your work to continue temporarily.

Hope they fix this bug soon, its been awhile from what I can see in this thread!

1 Like

I recommend two things for those on this thread experiencing either a beachball, crash, etc., to:

1. Update to Mac X8.0.1, EndNote X8 menu option -> Check for Updates 

2. Contact EndNote Support, http://endnote.com/support to get an individualized diagnosis if the behavior continues

I apologize for your troubles. 

Thanks all,

Meredith M. 

Done all of that but no solution.

Thanks this owrked for me 

Thanks this worked for me after endnote froze with increasing frequency every time I wanted to open a PDF. I hope it stays this way. 

This problem is a disaster. It is been continuous for the last several months. I am in touch with tech support and despite software updates, it persists. They say the crashing happens with applications that rely on Apple’s PDFkit and they are waiting for an update from Apple. Perhaps, but no other app I use is crashing. I am dumbfounded such a critical error could go on for so long.

I have since gotten a brand new computer and intalled a fresh copy of EndNote. Same problem.

If I did not invest hundreds (thousands?) of hours building up my EndNote libraries, I would quickly switch to a different product. I held out for years putting my PDFs in EndNote b/c I have always been hesitant about trusting the clunky old-fashioned feeling application to manage all my scientific papers. Now my fears have turned into a nightmare.

Hi everyone, 

Just wondering if anyone has updated to Sierra 10.12.6 yet? If you have, are you still experiencing the continous hanging/crashing on Endnote X8?

Also just wondering if anyone else has experienced issue with upgrading from Endnote X8.0.0.12000 to X8.0.1.12626? 
For some unknown reason this update does not work for me. After following all the usual steps, I see the message saying Endnote has updated successfully. But when I reopen Endnote, it’s as though the update never happened and it says I’m still running X8.0.0.12000. 

Any suggestions?