EndNote PDF view error

Hello everyone, 

I am wondering if anyone can help me to figure out what is happening with the PDF viewer in the Endnote 20. 

I use EndNote 20.1 which supposed to allow me viewing PDFs on the same screen. However, for some reasons my EndNote does not recognise the attached pdf files and as a result, I am unable to view any PDFs on the same window (I can view them in a pdf reader from the “Summary” tab). In an effort to solve this issue, I have created a new library, however, the error persists and all the references are categorised as “unfiled” even though the files are attached. 

I have attached some screenshots so that you can better understand what is going wrong with me. Please have a look, and any help is greatly appreciated! 

Ramiz

Unfiled simply means those 53 records haven’t been assigned to a group.  Nothing to do with the PDF itself.  As to why it says a PDF isn’t attached, unless it isn’t recognizing the attachment as a PDF, I have no idea.  

I have the exact same problem. Moreover, EndNote stops responding when I try to attach a PDF to a reference. Did you find the solution? Thank you, Rodrigo

Hi, I have the same problem. Moreover, EndNote stops responding when I try to attach a PDF to a reference. Did you find the solution? Thank you, Rodrigo

Solved! You have to to run Endnote as Administrator

1. Find EndNote.exe (either over the Start menu bar or in a folder, e.g. “C:\Program Files (x86)\EndNote 20”).
  2. Right-click Properties.
  3. In the Properties dialogue box, click the Compatibility tab.
  4. Locate the Privilege level option, and check the “Run this program as an administrator” box.

Edited:

After I configured the Endnote executable to be executed as an administrator, the PDF started appearing inside EndNote, as it should. However, when I opened MS Word (version 2010), it gave me a message that  “The requested Operation requires elevation” (the CWYW was not working). Thus, I also configured the Word executable to be executed as an administrator. The CWYW was working again. However, now I cannot drag and drop a PDF file directly into a reference in EndNot, in order to attach it automatically. When I try, the mouse pointer has the “prohibited” symbol, instead of the + sign. However, now I can attach a PDF from within EndNote (using the buttom + Attach file). As mentioned before, trying to attach a pdf to a reference (by drag and drop or from within EndNote) was causing EndNote to stop responding.

You’re absolutely right! restarting EndNote ‘As Administrator’ now allows me to preview PDFs. Thank you for the suggestion!