EndNote X4 for Mac latest word 2011 upgrade

Hi

I have been using X4 along with word 2011 on my Mac for several months without any problems, however three days ago I installed the latest word upgrade from Microsoft and now EndNote can’t work with word - how do I solve this?

Cheers

Mads

This is likely because word was the last installation and endnote needs to be the last program loaded.  See http://www.endnote.com/support/faqs/CWYW/faq60.asp or http://www.endnote.com/support/faqs/CWYW/faq1.asp for more details, but

“The simplest way to get the tools to appear is to open EndNote, and go to the EndNote menu. Select “Customizer” from the EndNote menu. Check the box in front of the “Cite While You Write” option. Click next until the Customizer is finished. Open a library. Then open Word and check the Tools menu for the EndNote submenu.”

Greetings Mads,

The latest Office 2011 update seems to reset the Word startup folder location for some installations.  If Leanne’s suggestions don’t resolve the problem, I would check the designated path for startup items within Word 2011.  To do so- 

1.  Start Word 2011.

2.  In Word, go to “Word > Preferences” and click on “File Locations.”

3.  Double click the “Startup” line and navigate to the following path-

Applications:Microsoft Office 2011: Office:Startup:Word

Note: In non-English versions of Word, the folder named “Startup” may be called “Start” or be in the localized language of Word.

4.  Press “Choose” on the Choose a Folder window.

5.  Press “OK” on the Preferences window.

6.  Close all Office programs.

7.  Open Word again.

Upon launching Word again, the EndNote commands should load properly.  Please let me know if this works for you.

Best Regards,

Jimmy M.
Customer Technical Support Representative Scientific
Thomson Reuters
Phone: +1 800 336 4474
ResearchSoft Product Support
thomsonreuters.com

Hello,

I have the same problems, but the things, which are suggested here don’t work out for me.

Any other suggestions?

Best,

Stefan

Greetings Stefan,

If you open a Word 2011 document, then click “Tools>Templates and Add-ins”, what is listed on this window below where it says “Checked items are currently loaded”?  Please let me know what you find.

Best Regards,

Jimmy M.
Thomson Reuters
thomsonreuters.com

EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle is loaded, but i don’t see any EndNote Plugin. I tried every other tip you posted… seems to be another problem! :frowning:

Hey,

any reaction? Why? Is there no solution? :frowning:

Greetings WulleWuu,

Have you already updated your EndNote X4 to version X4.0.2?  This version is required for the Cite While You Write commands to load in Word 2011-  http://endnote.com/support/ENX401_Win_updater.asp

Please let me know what you find.

Best Regards,

Jimmy M.
Thomson Reuters
thomsonreuters.com

Hey,

yes i already installed it, before i posted in this board! I doesnt work. Here are many other users, as u see, where Word 2011 and this patch dont work since the last Update of Word. :frowning:

Greetings WulleWuu,

If you’ve already updated to EndNote X4.0.2 and you’ve got the CWYW bundle file in place, it sounds like one of the recent updates for Office 2011 may have reset your Word Startup folder location.  To verify this, click on the “Word” drop down menu and choose “Preferences…”.  From the Preferences window, click on the “File Locations” icon and take note of the folder path listed next to “Startup”.  Please let me know what you find.

Best Regards,

Jimmy M.
Thomson Reuters
thomsonreuters.com

I already told u in another thread, that i already tried this and everything is exactly as u wanted it in ur guide :slight_smile: I have the correct folder and word shows me the bundle, but i dont get the plugin or how u call it, in word. Why? Is there any option i need to activate?

Greetings WulleWuu,

If you’ve updated your EndNote to version X4.0.2, made sure Word was looking at the correct folder for startup items and made certain the EndNote add-in was inside that particular folder, the Cite While You Write commands should be loading.  I have created a support ticket to troubleshoot this issue further and will be emailing you directly.

Best Regards,

Jimmy M.
Thomson Reuters
thomsonreuters.com

Hi JimmyM,

I seem to be in the same case as WulleWuu, i.e. EndNote (X4.0.2 bld 7031) menus do not show up in Word 2011 (v14.1.0). I carefully followed the instructions in http://www.endnote.com/support/faqs/CWYW/faq1.asp#macENX4 using both the Customiser and Manual installation (the Bundle file was already in the correct place, anyway), but to no avail.

Could you please keep me updated when you find a solution?

Thank you.

Greetings gep13,

I’d be happy to assist you with getting the EndNote X4 Cite While You Write commands to appear in Word 2011.  There’s no outstanding issue with the two programs that would make the commands not appear.  If you’ve updated your EndNote to version X4.0.2, made certain Word 2011 was looking at the correct folder for startup items and ensured the EndNote CWYW bundle file was inside that mentioned Startup folder, the commands should show up properly.  I will be creating a support ticket and emailing you directly to look into this issue further.

Best Regards,

Jimmy M.
Thomson Reuters
thomsonreuters.com

Send me an email too, please :slight_smile:

Hello,

I had the same problem. The files were well installed in appropriate folders but MSWord did not recognize the “Start” folder at launch, I guess. You should go to Word pref, chose “Default files location” (not sure of the translation, i use it in French), select Start files (in my case, the line was empty there), click “modify”, browse to find your Word start folder in MS Office folder, select, OK. Now the start default location indicates appropriate path. Relaunch Word.

I spent more than 1 hour to find the solution !!! Thanks to MS:angry:

Now it works well :smileyvery-happy:

Greetings WulleWuu,

I sent an email to the address found within your Thomson Reuters Community profile back on June 1st.  Would this be the best email address to reach you at?  I will resend my June 1st message again, just in case.  If you have a different email address, feel free to send it to me via private message.

Best Regards,

Jimmy M.
Thomson Reuters
thomsonreuters.com

Hello, Jim!

I have the same problem: Cannot see the Endnote Toolbar  (Endnote 4.0.2) in Word 2011 for Mac . Could you please send me information on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Greetings Aldumer,

It looks like you may have already submitted a support ticket and got help with this issue.  If you continue to run into problems associated with loading the Cite While You Write commands, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Jimmy M.
Thomson Reuters
thomsonreuters.com

Hi,

I have followed the instructions in your thread and in this webpage and I haven’t been able to make Word 2011 fro Mac startup EndNote upon startup. Please help.

P. S. 1. I use Word for Mac in Spanish.

P. S. 2. Upon strating Word I receive a message that tells me that Word could not load EndNote CWYW Word 2008.bundle.