Sitemap | EndNote
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
New User
0 Kudos

EndNote X7 - "Encountered an improper argument" error

I'm trying to revise a manuscript (Word 2010) and need to change the citation style (from Vancouver to APA 6th).  In doing so, I get a series of "Encountered an improper argument" errors (one for each citation, maybe) and no changes are made.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as I couldn't find reference to this type of error/warning online.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos

Re: EndNote X7 - "Encountered an improper argument" error

Hi nimh1nimh,

If you insert a few citations in a new blank document, do you get the same error when changing the output style? If so, you might try running a repair of Office in control panel/programs and features.

You are also welcome to contact us here in Technical Support at 1-800-336-4474, option 4.

I hope this is helpful!

Tom Hewitt

Technical Support Representative
Clarivate Analytics
Phone: +1 800 336 4474
Clarivate Analytics and its product names and acronyms used herein are trademarks, service marks, and registered trademarks used under license. This email is for the sole use of the intended recipient and contains information that may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender by return email and delete this email and any attachments.
New User
0 Kudos

Hi everyBody...

I'm having the following problem By running the program,what is SOLUTIONS and How do I fix this problem....

also Each time when i run the Word program, I have Contact endnote to Word by following below Path...

File-----> Option------> Add-ins------>Manage:COM Add-ins

Visitor
0 Kudos

Re: EndNote X6 - "Encountered an improper argument" error

I am trying to insert additional references, but get multiple error messages, as cited in the subject line.

I have the same problem in a blank document.

I have tried the sugegsteion to "repair" the program, but  get the message, repeatedly, that Endnote is unable to do this, even though I closed the application.

Pleae offer a solution. so I stop wasting my time.

Regards,

Hans

Visitor
0 Kudos

I would like a reply from Thomson Reuter to a question asked yesterday.  I am paying for their product, so expect a decent service.

Contributor
0 Kudos

This is a user forum. If you want the service you paid for, contact technical support.

Mentor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Others with COM errors needed to removed conflicting add-ins.  You might look for and remove the "send to blue-tooth" add-in. 

(PS I am user, not a TR employee) 

(long time Endnote user)
New User
0 Kudos

Hi to anyone in 2021 or later using endnote X9 getting this issue, fixing it with doing a quick repair of office definitely works!

Obey these steps:
  1. Close Word and any other Office programs. ...
  2. Press the Win+X keyboard shortcut. ...
  3. Choose Control Panel.
  4. Below the Programs heading, click the Uninstall a Program link. ...
  5. Select Microsoft Office from the list of programs. ...
  6. Right click and choose the Change button. ...
  7. Choose Quick Repair. ...
  8. Click the Repair button.