EndNote X7 - "Encountered an improper argument" error

I’m trying to revise a manuscript (Word 2010) and need to change the citation style (from Vancouver to APA 6th).  In doing so, I get a series of “Encountered an improper argument” errors (one for each citation, maybe) and no changes are made.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as I couldn’t find reference to this type of error/warning online.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi nimh1nimh,

If you insert a few citations in a new blank document, do you get the same error when changing the output style? If so, you might try running a repair of Office in control panel/programs and features.

You are also welcome to contact us here in Technical Support at 1-800-336-4474, option 4.

I hope this is helpful!

Hi everyBody…

I’m having the following problem By running the program,what is SOLUTIONS and How do I fix this problem…

also Each time when i run the Word program, I have Contact endnote to Word by following below Path…

File-----> Option------> Add-ins------>Manage:COM Add-ins

I am trying to insert additional references, but get multiple error messages, as cited in the subject line.

I have the same problem in a blank document.

I have tried the sugegsteion to “repair” the program, but  get the message, repeatedly, that Endnote is unable to do this, even though I closed the application.

Pleae offer a solution. so I stop wasting my time.

Regards,

Hans

I would like a reply from Thomson Reuter to a question asked yesterday.  I am paying for their product, so expect a decent service.

This is a user forum. If you want the service you paid for, contact technical support.

Others with COM errors needed to removed conflicting add-ins.  You might look for and remove the “send to blue-tooth” add-in. 

(PS I am user, not a TR employee) 

Hi to anyone in 2021 or later using endnote X9 getting this issue, fixing it with doing a quick repair of office definitely works!

Obey these steps:

1. Close Word and any other Office programs. …
  2. Press the Win+X keyboard shortcut. …
  3. Choose Control Panel.
  4. Below the Programs heading, click the Uninstall a Program link. …
  5. Select Microsoft Office from the list of programs. …
  6. Right click and choose the Change button. …
  7. Choose Quick Repair. …
  8. Click the Repair button.